Ex Aussie Army HJ47 Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I been a bit slow doing this thread, but its here now.

1983 HJ47 133.000km
So far its had the body of repaired and repainted. camo comes later.I still have the rest of the panels to.

The rear diff has been resprayed and rebuilt with a detroit soft locker. also fitted 75s backing plates to get the hand break on the rear wheel instear of the t/case . All new brakes and drums.

Frount diff ,resprayed and rebuilt center and swvil hubs and new discs with rebuilt callipers.

The chassis was cleaned and resprayed and springs reset to standard hight.

RH Side.jpg

000_0306.jpg

lh3.jpg

Last edited:
And the best part of this rebuild no one has hacked or changed the wiring except the army mods for the blackout lights and it all works.They even fitted wiring and a relay for driving lights.

:cool:

Looking good mate. I really like the look of a topless troopy. I take it that it would have had a full soft top in its service days? Do you have the bows?

What is the round thing on the right side of the original rear bumper?

They are the black out lights.

Basically just like driving with a candle on the front/rear of your vehicle.....

Looking good mate. I really like the look of a topless troopy. I take it that it would have had a full soft top in its service days? Do you have the bows?

X2 on the blackout light. I have 2 spairs.
On the bows no i dont have a set yet. I do have a patton [a photo and mesurments] to make them. Do you have a set ?

HJ47 Nikenbah 073.jpg

X2 on the blackout light. I have 2 spairs.
On the bows no i dont have a set yet. I do have a patton [a photo and mesurments] to make them. Do you have a set ?

No I don't have a set but I was interested in what sort of construction they would be. I wonder if those bows are factory or Army fabrication. Do you know if the trucks were delivered with soft tops? How about the roll bar that came with yours? Doesn't look Toyota to me.

The bows look quite light weight and would offer no rollover protection what so ever. Heaven forbid if an army truck should roll over....:doh:

Ahhh the 1980s....a simple time when H&S didn't rule our working lives...

What's your take on the extended sides of the tub? Extra protection perhaps?

Nice truck Aussie

The high back sides looks like it gives the troopys rear seats a bit more back support. Cant have our boys falling out on rough roads.

What's your take on the extended sides of the tub? Extra protection perhaps?
These army troopies are a bitsa. Delivered to the army as a canvos top hj47 with 2 single frount seats and a console. The roll bar was an army mod. The hood bows are made by toyota. A picky of the bolts. The sides are about 100mm high and the bows sit on top making the roof higher. With the searching i have done these [215 off] troopies are the only HJ47 soft tops made by toyota.

HJ47 Nikenbah 074.jpg

Looking good. This should be awesome when done.
Found one of these years ago that had been put into a ditch and ended up sitting in a yard on a farm with a few others. still kicking myself i didn't drag it home when i had the chance. Went back to where it was about 12 months ago and it was gone, along with the others that were there. Probably all ended up in the crusher:crybaby:

Nice ride looks as if she's going to be a real good off road worker when done.
The photos of the FJ/HJs is making my brain spin thinking of what may of been their fate.
:cheers:

That's a sweet project you have going there. I wish I would have had a chance to see it when I was down there.

I met Ian while I was on holiday in Australia a couple of months ago. We got to talking of wheeling and old Toyotas, and I was telling him about IH8MUD. I found out he is on here too. :cheers:

That's a sweet project you have going there. I wish I would have had a chance to see it when I was down there.

I met Ian while I was on holiday in Australia a couple of months ago. We got to talking of wheeling and old Toyotas, and I was telling him about IH8MUD. I found out he is on here too. :cheers:
Good to see you are keeping an eye on this.

Got a bit more on this weekend.
Rebuilt powersteer box
1984 HJ60 powerstear pump and brackets
HZJ 75 vicous fan hub. [had it in the shed]
By fitting that it moved the fan foward by 12 mm to clear the pullies.

000_0325.jpg

000_0328.jpg

After fitting the pump and making and fitting the hoses and finding a sopot for fluid container off the HJ60.
After moving the fan foward it ran to close to the radaitor , so redrill the rad mount 12mm foward and changing the bottom outlet in the radaitor. Also cutting the new radaitor hose and rotating it 30' it all worked.

000_0326.jpg

000_0331.jpg

The mod on the radaitor. Not a good pic. And all new tie rod ends.
I will add a picky of the resvore when i bolt it on.

000_0332.jpg

000_0329.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom