Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't chop bro, get a mini if that's the route you want to go...Saving 1 80 at a time.....

^ I know a guy....

Cool video. I hate how the 80 lurches around like a big fat beast after every obstacle. Mine does the same thing and it wears on you mentally because every drop off is more intense than it needs to be.

I wonder if this stupid fire is going to block my trip in October
Your poor radius arm bracket, too. Hitch pin mod for the lose

Yeah this was the first time trying the hitch pin. Poor bracket was flared out like crazy. If I ever do this again I'll need to make sure I have a reinforcement plate in there. Regarding the Rubicon, Forest Service closed off the entire area a few days ago. It's on their website. It's even closed up north of Hell Hole.

Before you start chopping things (I like this idea BTW), I'd really get your gearing done: 5.29's in the diffs and lower xfer gears.

Then run the Rubicon again and you will be amazed how different the truck really runs. It's night and day.

I do have the 5.29s already but I really want the transfer case gears. That's on my todo list :)

Don't chop bro, get a mini if that's the route you want to go...Saving 1 80 at a time.....

Nothing's happening anytime soon. Have too many other projects to work on. If anything it'd be something to have ready by next summer, if that.

REAR FENDER SURGERY CONT...

Finally finished one fender! Can't get too excited, still have to start on the other side. Here's the final contour. You can see there's no more edge under the door and it cuts in slightly higher after the door.

15337655055_f0643f4615_h.jpg

15151118357_0c5a34ecd2_h.jpg

On this part of the fender I spot welded small strips of metal to close up the pie gaps

15337653105_013e94dd5d_h.jpg

Over here I used a large strip to cover the whole area. These are welded to the outer fender

15314614396_667255d3fc_h.jpg

After all the welding and grinding I slapped on some Eastwood brushable seam sealer. This stuff is super thick and goopy. Covers every gap really well. This can goes for about $30 and should go a long way. The plan is to smooth this out a bit after it dries then coat the entire inner fender with Monstaliner the same time I repaint the outer fender. I like the smooth texture of Monstaliner as it doesn't tend to trap dirt in the crevices.

IsLkR7Y.jpg

15151060948_bab4c7ade2_h.jpg

Holy rocker panel damage batman!!! Glad to know mine isn't the only fat-beetch around bending sliders... :flipoff2:

Holy rocker panel damage batman!!! Glad to know mine isn't the only fat-beetch around bending sliders... :flipoff2:

You see that chet!? Need to make some new ones out of 0.25" wall :)

Sad to say, but I think mine is schedule 40 already (.250)! :/

NEW FRONT BUMPER

Picked up my new front bumper today. Eager to get started on it but I really need to finish the other rear fender. Hope I don't fack this all up!

iEzhFWLh.jpg

Last edited:
NEW FRONT BUMPER

Picked up my new front bumper today. Eager to get started on it but I really need to finish the other rear fender. Hope I don't fack this all up!

iEzhFWL.jpg
Whos bumper? You gonna weld it with the 140? How much beer do you have?

image.jpg
There's some hacked up stuff out there, but nobody's really done the 80 truck, minus the two slee projects I'm aware of(stateside).

I need a season of wheelin before going down that road but that's all it took on my 4 door taco.

Hard part on the 80 is you have to create the 'cab' which requires some pretty serious bodywork skills.

That truck is pure sexy. I bet thats one fun rig. Who did that one Booger?

New bumper? what do you not like about the existing one you have?

I really like the AOE but it's time for something lighter and smaller. It's more of an expedition-type bumper and all there is to do in my area is climb over boulders :)

I didn't know 4X4 labs made a front bumper...hmm. Can't wait to see it welded up

What does the 4x4labs bumper run?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom