Evap advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I have a 1982 FJ40. I bought it sight unseen from out of state and soon after I got it, i noticed a strong gas smell, mostly when it had been parked in my closed garage. I found that the fuel tank had a leak and i had the tank replaced. However, most (if not all) of the EVAP components had been removed from this truck and the shop that replaced the tank added a vent line (had been capped on old tank) that just vents to the air, so ..... still smells like gas and maybe worse than before, particularly after a fill up. I thought about adding a charcoal canister back and run the vent line to that (i would use the AC delco 215-153) to see if that would eliminate most of the smell. What is the simplest way to hook this up? do i need to run any additional lines? I live in a state where there is no emissions testing, so that is not an issue. Truck otherwise runs great and is in great shape, has a 2f engine with a weber 36/38 carb. thanks!

FWIW - Check out post #2029 of what I did about the evap stuff. < click here >

Note, I didn't show that there is a check valve in that line as well as a 16" long, 1/2" fuel line whip at the end filled with charcoal.

I drive mine most every day and it sits in my shop over night. My shop isn't filled with a fuel smell, at least not from my 40.....I can't always say the same about my Kubota, EZ-Go, weed whackers, chainsaws, pressure washer & Toro cutter that are in there as well.

Last edited:
ok i have looked at that thread - great info - and this is what i am thinking of doing: there are 3 "out" ports from the tank, which you combined into one with the Y-fitting. The way my tank is now, 2 of those ports just connect to each other and the 3rd is the vent line that just vents to the air (right now is zip tied to the filler hose). i am thinking i will extend the vent line to the new vapor canister and that's it; that way will vent into the canister and hopefully take care of the smell. Any reason i need to do any more -ie run a line from the canister to a vacuum port? will that affect fuel efficiency or performance significantly or is it purely an emissions thing? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom