Essential Prado LJ78 upgrades/mods... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

stock 4.88 r&p

Johnny,

Bigger tires will not hurt a thing on your LJ78. You have stock 4.88 ring & pinions as it sits. Perfect ring ratio to put on a set of 33s and keep the RPMs down.

Disadvantage of bigger tires will be long accending grades. You will loose momentum for sure. Just hit the little ETC (watever it is) button and there you go. Don't let the tranny down kick if at all possible.

I have had 33" muddies on my LJ78 for almost 4 years now. No problems and I drive the LJ78 everywhere.

hi, there. as i know a LJ78 has 4.1 or 4.0 r&p. i'd like to know. somewone is selling me a 4.8 r&p. if you guys are sure i guess this guy is trying to rip me off or he doesn't know a LJ78

r&p and temp

thats nice to know that i don't have to upgrade my r&p's. i'm running 235/85/16 geolandar at's if i get MT's it gonna be a 245/85/16 simex centipedes or a 265/85/16 dunlops MT2.
i still feel the engine is a bit sluggish hway standards. i'll try to put a mechanical water temp on the radiator top hose mount to check if my temp gauge is accurate. it still goes a tad above midpoint and on long ascents and heavy traffic it goes near the 3/4's level.
rico antonio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom