Escape Gear Seat Covers (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well this is great, hopefully we can get something going. I was quoted $98 for shipping to SC... kinda hurts but it is what it is.
That sounds steep. The shipping cost was $53 for just the front seat covers to FL. The website made the bill automatically. $272 was the final bill direct from Escape Gear.

May
That sounds steep. The shipping cost was $53 for just the front seat covers to FL. The website made the bill automatically. $272 was the final bill direct from Escape Gear.
Maybe that’s just the quote and not final shipping amount? I’ll give it a week and see if we can come up with a group buy

Holy crap the shipping rates DID change; I just checked. I'd say GB or at least get a shippinh discount. $90+ shipping is awfully steep.

Is it the same price buying directly from Escape Gear as it is through Equipt?

We will need Equipt to offer a discount. The price was $5 higher for me after shipping at Equipt.

There is a video posted in my escape gear thread from about a month ago ... not my video but it exists

An Escape Gear seller in the US is having a 20% off sale on seat covers .. Except 100 series is not in the sale group. I placed a call to them and left a VM to see if they would be interested in extending the 20% discount to 100 series owners. Hopefully, I can get them to work with us.

I see Equipt is a supporting vendor.

@Equipt

Not a 100 series owner but I did get Escape Gear covers for my HZJ77 from Equipt. Grey Cotton Canvas I believe it was called. Worth every penny.

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

Does anyone know how the gray cotton canvas would look with the Land Cruiser brown interior? I have the brown interior but I like the gray canvas over the brown canvas.

I have their transmission hump cover and it's great. The guys at EG were very professional and very interested in making sure i had the right fit (button location etc).

I have their transmission hump cover and it's great. The guys at EG were very professional and very interested in making sure i had the right fit (button location etc).
Would you be able to post a picture of the cover? I was eyeing it as well as the seat covers but couldn't really tell how accessible the AHC, 2nd start and seat heater sitches would be.

Would you be able to post a picture of the cover? I was eyeing it as well as the seat covers but couldn't really tell how accessible the AHC, 2nd start and seat heater sitches would be.

Not sure if you can really tell here. They make sure that they are accessible, and I sent pics of my setup before they made it.

20200605_093851.jpg

I think these are what I’m after as well. I keep eyeing the Melvill and Moon covers but for some reason they told me (a few years ago) they don’t fit our US 100s (VX option?) The Escape Gear covers are known to fit.

Not sure if you can really tell here. They make sure that they are accessible, and I sent pics of my setup before they made it.

View attachment 2443047
I wonder if EG can make this console cover with an opening for the AHC switch that’s just in front of the main shift knob? I have a few light switches installed there that I would need access to.

Who’s gonna spear head this

You posted about it, why wouldn't you? I'd suggest contacting Equipt and Paul in the first place to see if they'd even entertain a group buy and what kind of discount they can offer before you start collecting names. They may not be offering the 100 covers on their sale because they don't have any.

When I ordered mine EG had none in stock. They had to make them. I suspect they aren't a high volume manufacturer, so maybe doing 5 or so sets at once can garner a discount.

Craig was my contact directly at EG. I had them redirect my shipment from FL to OR. I had to solicit feedback to ensure the request was processed and executed.

Hello everyone.

We have had a few direct inquiries regarding our notice of a sale on the Escape Gear seat covers, and the option of a group buy on 100 Series covers. We also had this thread and a thread on Expedition Portal brought to our attention. So I thought I would chime in on a few things to see if I can clarify.

Equipt is the only domestic dealer for Escape Gear seat covers. We have been working with Escape Gear for going on a decade now, and I can say that in my opinion there is not another seat cover on this planet that compares to the Escape Gear covers. The quality is excellent. Fitment takes a little extra time, but once it is in place the result is impressive.

Escape Gear sent a representative to the US last year to make 3D patterns of some of our most popular vehicle models that are not available in South Africa. They came to our facility here in Salt Lake City to do all of that modeling. After a year or so of creating the templates and trying prototypes with us, they have now been able to offer covers the the US spec Toyota 5th Gen 4Runner, Gen 2&3 Tacoma and Tundra, and the Ford F-150. All specific US models.

To generate more interest, or buzz, in these specific seat cover options, and to get them off the ground, Escape Gear has asked Equipt to offer these models only at a 20% discount for a very limited time. They too are offering these same covers at 20% off for a very limited time. To my knowledge, Escape Gear has never offered a sale on any other covers, ever. Equipt is not known for offering sales either. The Land Cruiser series 80, 100, and 200 are all considered international models, and not a part of this sale offering. Escape Gear makes every set of covers that come the US one at a time, based on the order and information given to them. South Africa is a right hand drive country. Left hand drive covers are unique but possible, and there are a few twists to the models we have in the US too.

The philosophy here at Equipt is that if we offer a sale on a product to a specific group or at a specific time, then we are overcharging everyone else the rest of the time, and we don't think that is fair. So we don't do it. It took a global pandemic for us to have our first sale in 15 years, to give you some perspective here. Equipt does not offer group buy discounts. Never have. Not going to start now.

I am not sure if you guys have an idea of just how far away South Africa is. If you put a pole from the US straight through the center of the earth, it comes out somewhere pretty close to South Africa, give or take a couple thousand miles. The cost of shipping a parcel of material half way around the world is not cheap. That same parcel shipped across the US (domestically) is in the $20-30 range, not to mention crossing international borders. It is 15,000 miles away. Shipping Escape Gear seat covers last year ranged from $115 to $160. They made some unique arrangements with a local shipping broker and were able to bring those costs way down. We pegged the exchange rate for their covers for stable pricing, and charge a flat rate of $65 for a set of covers, one two or three rows. Escape Gear's site recalculates the cost of the covers and the shipping roughly every 30 seconds on their site based on the valuation of the South African Rand the the US Dollar. So you will see variations all over the place on their site. Gentlemen, $65 for a package from the other side of the planet is quite honestly impressive. We do not mark up the shipping costs. We pass them straight through.

*****January 2021 Shipping Cost Update: International Shipping, especially by air, has gone up astronomically! Seat cover sets are now costing in the range of $115USD to ship. As noted above, we do not mark up shipping costs. We only charge what we are charged for shipping from Escape Gear.

So, the next question is about perhaps a savings on bulk shipping. Great question. One we are constantly contemplating here. Definitely possible. We ship a lot of stuff from South Africa to the US. Mostly by container, but also by air freight. Let's take an example. Our history of shipping shows us that the cost of shipping a single fridge, as an example, costs us right around $350 - $400 to our door. So if we say put together 10 sets of seat covers, or roughly the size and weight of a fridge box, and send them directly to a single customer, it would be about that amount, give or take a bit. That now comes out to approximately $40 a set. Now you get to sort out those covers, box them, and ship them all to your buddies across the US. Depending on the row count and distance from the receiver, the cost would be $0 to $30. So savings on a group order of covers is now somewhere between none and $25. That doesn't include the time and effort of the receiver, or their gathering the individual vehicle images that Escape Gear requires for each order in the group, the collections of initial funds to pay for the covers, or recouping the funds for shipping after the fact. Also, if any one of you have issues, then you get to bring those issues up with the receiver since they are actually the one that purchased the covers. That receiver will then have to be the intermediary with either Escape Gear or Equipt on behalf of the group purchaser. Is all this hassle worth it? I guess that is an answer for you guys to decide.

Food for thought, gentlemen.

I will do my best to answer any questions you have regarding the Escape Gear seat covers. We have all the covers on our site for review, as well as color options, videos on installations, and more. Please take a look at Equipt1.com.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

We have had a few direct inquiries regarding our notice of a sale on the Escape Gear seat covers, and the option of a group buy on 100 Series covers. We also had this thread and a thread on Expedition Portal brought to our attention. So I thought I would chime in on a few things to see if I can clarify.

Equipt is the only domestic dealer for Escape Gear seat covers. We have been working with Escape Gear for going on a decade now, and I can say that in my opinion there is not another seat cover on this planet that compares to the Escape Gear covers. The quality is excellent. Fitment takes a little extra time, but once it is in place the result is impressive.

Escape Gear sent a representative to the US last year to make 3D patterns of some of our most popular vehicle models that are not available in South Africa. They came to our facility here in Salt Lake City to do all of that modeling. After a year or so of creating the templates and trying prototypes with us, they have now been able to offer covers the the US spec Toyota 5th Gen 4Runner, Gen 2&3 Tacoma and Tundra, and the Ford F-150. All specific US models.

To generate more interest, or buzz, in these specific seat cover options, and to get them off the ground, Escape Gear has asked Equipt to offer these models only at a 20% discount for a very limited time. They too are offering these same covers at 20% off for a very limited time. To my knowledge, Escape Gear has never offered a sale on any other covers, ever. Equipt is not known for offering sales either. The Land Cruiser series 80, 100, and 200 are all considered international models, and not a part of this sale offering. Escape Gear makes every set of covers that come the US one at a time, based on the order and information given to them. South Africa is a right hand drive country. Left hand drive covers are unique but possible, and there are a few twists to the models we have in the US too.

The philosophy here at Equipt is that if we offer a sale on a product to a specific group or at a specific time, then we are overcharging everyone else the rest of the time, and we don't think that is fair. So we don't do it. It took a global pandemic for us to have our first sale in 15 years, to give you some perspective here. Equipt does not offer group buy discounts. Never have. Not going to start now.

I am not sure if you guys have an idea of just how far away South Africa is. If you put a pole from the US straight through the center of the earth, it comes out somewhere pretty close to South Africa, give or take a couple thousand miles. The cost of shipping a parcel of material half way around the world is not cheap. That same parcel shipped across the US (domestically) is in the $20-30 range, not to mention crossing international borders. It is 15,000 miles away. Shipping Escape Gear seat covers last year ranged from $115 to $160. They made some unique arrangements with a local shipping broker and were able to bring those costs way down. We pegged the exchange rate for their covers for stable pricing, and charge a flat rate of $65 for a set of covers, one two or three rows. Escape Gear's site recalculates the cost of the covers and the shipping roughly every 30 seconds on their site based on the valuation of the South African Rand the the US Dollar. So you will see variations all over the place on their site. Gentlemen, $65 for a package from the other side of the planet is quite honestly impressive. We do not mark up the shipping costs. We pass them straight through.

So, the next question is about perhaps a savings on bulk shipping. Great question. One we are constantly contemplating here. Definitely possible. We ship a lot of stuff from South Africa to the US. Mostly by container, but also by air freight. Let's take an example. Our history of shipping shows us that the cost of shipping a single fridge, as an example, costs us right around $350 - $400 to our door. So if we say put together 10 sets of seat covers, or roughly the size and weight of a fridge box, and send them directly to a single customer, it would be about that amount, give or take a bit. That now comes out to approximately $40 a set. Now you get to sort out those covers, box them, and ship them all to your buddies across the US. Depending on the row count and distance from the receiver, the cost would be $0 to $30. So savings on a group order of covers is now somewhere between none and $25. That doesn't include the time and effort of the receiver, or their gathering the individual vehicle images that Escape Gear requires for each order in the group, the collections of initial funds to pay for the covers, or recouping the funds for shipping after the fact. Also, if any one of you have issues, then you get to bring those issues up with the receiver since they are actually the one that purchased the covers. That receiver will then have to be the intermediary with either Escape Gear or Equipt on behalf of the group purchaser. Is all this hassle worth it? I guess that is an answer for you guys to decide.

Food for thought, gentlemen.

I will do my best to answer any questions you have regarding the Escape Gear seat covers. We have all the covers on our site for review, as well as color options, videos on installations, and more. Please take a look at Equipt1.com.

for your time.

483423DD-FB13-4B53-9E2B-C6A485E81011.jpeg

But in all seriousness, thanks for the detailed response!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom