enough talk !!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

its an R150F tranny, i'm walking the fence with it but its cheap and if it doesnt hold up i may import an H151 or swap in a H55, we'll see. i'm in Phx AZ. the HP is about the same, the torque is only a little more, but diesel is supposed to feel 30% more powerful than gas, i dont know. but i drove the beast yesturday, with the fuel lines in 1 gallon of fuel to see how far it would go. its not fast but it is much better than my 2F which ran strong and i went 28 miles. so i'm happy. i plan to be at SNT, maybe i'll see ya.

fanfare? well i was kinda holding off till its completly done and i put a few miles on it so i can really give a good report and pics to answer the barage of Q's i'll prolly get. but what the heck,,, these pics are 95% complete,,, i have it all done and running driving now except for a few minor things to button up.

the pics will mostly speak for themselves, these are showing oil pan clearance and overall under hood height, very good on both ends.
front under close.JPG
engine height.JPG
oil pan clearance.JPG

Last edited:
these next pics will show clearance to the sides and all the "stuff" attached and plumbed/wired.
engine D side.JPG
d side close.JPG
engine P side.JPG

and here is the overall engine bay, and drivetrain location.

fire away guys. prolly a million Q's these pics dont answer.
engine compartment.JPG
d train.JPG

Man, that looks great. I hope to see you at S&T, maybe take it for a test drive.:D I don't know anything about that tranny your running but I did look it up and found that it is a manual out of a Tacoma. How is it working out?
Just looking into the future. I am planning on going SOA and thinking of using Marlins Hysteer to stay away from the oil pan. Do you think there would be a clearance problem with Marks kit behind the axle? If you can get a pic of the pan from the side showing how far it is below the frame and the axle, that would be awesome.
Thanks

as best i can tell from talking to the aussie guys who got a near identical tranny behind a non turbo engine is that i may be looking at rebilding the tranny every 100k miles or so. we'll see.
off the top of my head i dont remember how the marks kit goes, help me out and i can give you my thoughts on it.
the gear ratios are great, its a pretty smooth and even gear spacing. i am either going to build a shroud or swap in an electric fan, one or the other will happen as i dont like open fans behind rediators.

i thought you were talking about marks in AUS,,,, i am well versed in 4X4 labs steering, thats Luke.... i really like it but the way i have the engine set it will hit the oilpan. i did not take the engine all the way to the firewall, if i did it would clear easy.

Damn, Mark ... Luke ... , I really brain farted there. If you did pull it back to the firewall, would you have other problems like shifter locations, more doghouse mods, firewall mods? I think I may just go with the marlin stuff. Its a little cheaper, beefier than stock and it looks pretty good too. Thanks for the response.

i have marlin tie rod on mine and a homegrown bastid drag link from the 60 series box,,,, works fine.

yes on all the above with engine placement, but mostly with my tranny choice i was running out of room with the transfer shifter location if i wanted to keep my center console between the seats, i basically went front to back, under and over and decided where the engine would be the best compromise of ALL positions. its about dead center of the engine bay. not enough room to move the rad back for an intercooler, but i'm not planning to run one. i had all kinds of thoughts and ideas running through my head as i was figguring out the ideal placement, one of them is to use the space behind the engine for an airbox to hold a filter and run the shorty snorkel out of.

I know I'm a little late...but that is SWEET!!!

Very nice work Clay... I thought about calling you on Thursday as I had an extended stay (+3hours) at the airport in Phoenix...thunderstorms in Philly. I'll be pit stopping in Phoenix on a semi regular basis in the future on my way back from Portland for work. One of these trips I'll try to see that beautiful workmanship in person.

thanks for the comments guys,

todd call me anytime, if i'm free when your here we'll get together.

Rhino-
This is great stuff! Between this thread, Andre's and the 4BDT I'm getting close to launching myself down this road. I'm trying to decide on a couple of options but don't want to hijack your thread so I'll start another one. I'd also like to check it out when I'm in Scottsdale in October.

Rino,

Very nice work there, how is the mileage? . I'm currently putting together the parts for a similar swap into my 86 fj60. I've got a couple questions about the transfer case you used. Is that the pigs original tc? if so would the R150f bolt up to it or does the marlin box act as an adapter? You mentioned in another post that an H55f might be in the future if th R150f doesn't hold up to the diesel, would you then need a different AA bellhousing and clutch disk or are the bolt pattern and input shaft the same?? Thanks,
Snorider

thanks sno,,,, yeah the toybox is the adapter between the tranny and cruiser case. if i do a H55 in the future i'll need adapters front and rear and a new clutch disc. as you can imagine i am hoping the r150 holds up otherwise it'll be an expensive expierament.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom