Engine bay whistle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

F46

Threads
On a recent motorway trip I noticed a high pitched whistle on acceleration coming from the engine bay on my HDJ100. I stopped by a mechanic and they suggested it was an issue with the vacuum dampener, so I went ahead and got a new one but the noise still persists. The whistle seems to be in time with the revs and sounds like its coming from the back of the engine.
Has anyone got any idea on what it could be or help to diagnose it? Thanks in advance!

Just a slightly educated guess but exhaust leak? My frontier has a leak at the exhaust manifold flange, she’s a real whistler when accelerating.
Thanks, did you end up getting yours fixed? Can it do any real damage?

Thanks, did you end up getting yours fixed? Can it do any real damage?
No, been like that for 85,000 miles since I bought it in early 2013. It’s my beater/work truck so never cared, I’m not an expert on whether it could do damage though. I think my risk is basically burning a little crater at that spot on the head and a little harder on plugs or something like that. Not sure if this relates but I’ve read here that the 100 ecu can get confused with exhaust leaks near the heads and think it’s running lean so it sends more fuel to compensate. Giving you poor MPGs and something else, my memory sucks but it’s talked about in the ticking manifolds thread.

Maybe take it to an exhaust shop and see if they can pinpoint it.

Reactions: F46
OPs vehicle is a turbodiesel. Only the one head, and no plugs.... :)

I'm assuming your HDJ has an EGR pipe? That's located at the back of the engine. Check it for leaks both ends, and for cracks.

Check all the inlet and turbo ducting for security and cracks.

Worn turbo?

Thanks for the help! I'm going to check the EGR pipe for leaks, here's hoping its nothing too serious 🤞

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom