Electrical Short? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked up a 2008 LX 570 with 57k miles on it two weeks ago. Love the vehicle and have been looking for one for quite awhile. Took it on a 1,000 mile road trip the day after I purchased the truck and it ran great!
This morning I drove it to work and noticed that the volume on the radio would not work and the windows were acting funning. Also the passenger side seat heating and cooling switch had the light stuck on regardless of the position. Has anybody else experienced something similar to this? The problems have since resolved themselves on their own. I did not do a thing but leave the truck in a parking lot all day at work. Maybe something with water? It did rain last night.

Appreciate any help you could provide.

Sounds like you have a water leak that has caused a short to power. Take a look to see if you have an aftermarket windshield. Factory glass will have the Toyota logo embossed in the corner.

The first place I would look is damp carpets especially in the driver's and passenger side foot well. Take the footwell side covers off and inspect the connectors for water intrusion or green corrosion. Be sure to do this with the key off or battery unhooked.
Blow the connectors dry and then add dielectric grease.
If you have green corrosion good luck, you may need to do some electrical cleaner if not wire harness repair/replacement.
Then find the source of the water intrusion. Most likely a poorly installed glass or plugged sunroof drain hose.

Sounds like you have a water leak that has caused a short to power. Take a look to see if you have an aftermarket windshield. Factory glass will have the Toyota logo embossed in the corner.

The first place I would look is damp carpets especially in the driver's and passenger side foot well. Take the footwell side covers off and inspect the connectors for water intrusion or green corrosion. Be sure to do this with the key off or battery unhooked.
Blow the connectors dry and then add dielectric grease.
If you have green corrosion good luck, you may need to do some electrical cleaner if not wire harness repair/replacement.
Then find the source of the water intrusion. Most likely a poorly installed glass or plugged sunroof drain hose.

Thanks for the quick reply. Windshield looks got be stock as it has a Lexus Logo embossed int he corner. I didn't notice any wet carpets yesterday and will plan to take off the footwell side covers this weekend to check for anything unusual. When I was washing the car last weekend, I noticed that under the side roof rails a piece of black rubber molding was missing as well as the rear cover for the roof rail. I have ordered both of these and waiting for them to come in. Not sure if there is some way that water could get in from one of these parts but its worth a shot I suppose.

I have an appointment at the dealer on Saturday but I don't think it will be helpful to bring it in if there is no issues. Probably will cancel that until I look at it for a little while longer.

32K. It's in pretty good shape. One owner and serviced at the dealer. Had the water pump replaced already. Only things I have noticed need attention are the above items, some side view mirrors that move a bit at speed and a whistle at speed. I think the last two items are pretty common though.

Congrats on the new truck and there is cap on the bottom of where the mirror housing meets the body that are removable and you just tighten up the 3 bolts and the side view shake will stop. Even though you have a Lexus windshield it may not be the original and the whistle at speed if coming from the windshield area may also explain water ingress that may be causing the a short somewhere. Could have been it was not sealed properly when installed. Had the same issue on our old LX470.

I bought the same truck, with similar mileage and price several years ago. Pushing 110k now and I still love it. Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom