Electrical problems stemming from ignition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 66 fj40 has always started for me until the other week.
Symptoms seem to stem from ignition to starter.
I have full power until I try to start then all goes dead.
Power turns back on after I toggle ignition off to accessory setting. (Fan, lights,turn signals etc)
I have replaced both cables on battery, charged battery (didn't need to) and checked fuses for continuity.
Weird thing is it will jump start.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!
Ted

My 66 fj40 has always started for me until the other week.
Symptoms seem to stem from ignition to starter.
I have full power until I try to start then all goes dead.
Power turns back on after I toggle ignition off to accessory setting. (Fan, lights,turn signals etc)
I have replaced both cables on battery, charged battery (didn't need to) and checked fuses for continuity.
Weird thing is it will jump start.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!
Ted

I had a problem that sounds like what you describe. My Toy would start at the slightest touch time after time then usually after fairly long drive and a short sit when everything was good and warm I would get nothing in the start position. After a few minutes of cussing and risking breaking the key off it would start and most times give no problems for a while.

I thought maybe the starter was getting heat from the header so addressed that. Same problem. Checked the grounds and cables..nope. Replaced the starter relay..nuh uh.

So I pulled the ignition switch. Took it apart and found the the metal plate and contact points gummed up with 47 years of gunk and hardened grease. Cleaned everything nice and shiny smoothed out the worn spot where the starter points make contact and JB welded it all back together. It has been a couple weeks of driving and so far the started hits every time.

I thought about buying a new switch and was surprised that it was under $50 but decided to see if I could fix the old one first...So far so good.

I went through exactly the same issues with my 76. I changed the key cylinder, same issues. Next I changed the ignition switch. Same issues. Obviously I was losing amps to the starter someplace but instead of chasing wires on a 40+ yr old harness, I simply installed a two wire push button starter button on the dash wired directly to the battery and starter. I now turn the key on, press the button and instant start. All for $14

Thanks all!
Since it's been down my wife took it upon herself to re upholster the seats!
I will mess with it soon enough, will start with battery and ignition switch.
Thanks again
Ted

IMG952018012495142948.jpg

In my ‘64, the ignition switch is worn. Everything works normally in Run, and it will crank and start fine if I am careful to not turn the key too far. If I turn the key until it stops, everything dies. There is a very small window to where the contact is made correctly.

Since I only have one key for the rig, I decided to replace the switch. While the exact correct early switches are NLA, the later switch (through ‘70, I think) will fit and work fine if you change the terminal ends on the wires to the switch. My new switch arrives this weekend.

Starts like a champ!
Kinda feel like a newbie as the battery was the problem to begin with.
Pulled it, found out it was from 08' tested it at Auto parts store, bad cell.
Replaced it, starts fine. Glad it wasn't ignition switch.
Waiting for wifey to finish passenger seat now.......
Thanks all for your excellent support always!
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom