Electrical issue.... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FINALLY figured out my fuel cut solenoid wiring was bad.... Replaced the ground wire... took it for a test drive, had supper to celebrate my victory..... What a great feeling...
Came out to go home and no dash lights, reverse, brake, tail or side markers. Me thinks this issue has something to do with the solenoid?? Yuk.... I hate electrical more then I hate carb issues! Hoping it is a simple relay under the dash...any ideas out there???

FINALLY figured out my fuel cut solenoid wiring was bad.... Replaced the ground wire... took it for a test drive, had supper to celebrate my victory..... What a great feeling...
Came out to go home and no dash lights, reverse, brake, tail or side markers. Me thinks this issue has something to do with the solenoid?? Yuk.... I hate electrical more then I hate carb issues! Hoping it is a simple relay under the dash...any ideas out there???
1987 fj60

check your fuses and check the fusible links at the battery positive post. Beyond that check ground point "C" white w/black stripe wire under the driver's side metal dash. follow it behind the kick panel and see if the ground junction is burned up. This would happen if your inadvertently attached a ground wire to a hot.

The white fusible link wire (of the three) fuses power to those accessories you mentioned. Examine it very carefully and it’s electrical spade connectors.

The fusible link is a wiring pigtail coming off the Battery + terminal. (Green plug connector). There’s three short wires in the bundle that act as fuses for the wiring harness.
If the harness gets a short in it before the fuse block in the cab, a fusible link will burn up instead of the wiring harness.

a BAD Fuel cut solenoid shorting to ground because it did not have a ground but now does according to you TECH in both threads you have on this topic

could be the culprit ?

it would and could blow more then one 87 fj60 fuse

@OSS is extremely wise here , and his input helping folks ALL THE TIME here on MUD is a nothing less then a selfless spirit at work ........... :)

do you have a oem Toyota FSM and or EWD and or the RED 1981 Emissions fsm book by chance or all 3 hopefully

im NOT talking PDF monkey business either

real paper print media is the raw form ?

let us know because the step by steps are how you NEED to roll here ........

THIS IS THE WAY

The fuel cut solenoid always has power to it via the B/Y wire. The ground side of the FCS goes to the emission computer terminal 12. It is grounded when appropriate via a transistor in the emission computer. The tail lights at least are on a different fuse. These may be related but I doubt it. The first step is to go backwards and undo what you did, check all the fuses to reestablish your old baseline. Then look at your emissions manual and FSM electrical diagram to see what is up with the fuel cut solenoid wiring. It is possible to have a solenoid with a lot of turn-to-turn shorts where it will draw enough current to blow the fuse. You should have noticed that while driving because all the other VSVs and engine related stuff is on that same fuse, it should not blow sitting in the parking lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom