1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electrical gremlin!!

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Shark56, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Shark56

Shark56 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    79 FJ, right rear turn signal does not work when I turn on my headlights. All others work normal. Right rear works fine without the headlights. I'm thinking ground! Any ideas? Thanks Jeff

2. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes check ALL your grounds. battery cables, light housings for corrosion.... Search for grounding issues, lots-o-reading...

Oh and Welcome to Mud! :D

:beer:

3. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Probably a bad ground at the RR lamp housing. If you look carefully, the running lights will glow when the R turn signal is on if the lamp housing ground is bad. When the housing ground is bad, the turn signal lamp will find a ground through the running lights, which are contained in the same housing.

4. Shark56

Shark56 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Revisited

You guys correct as usual. It was a ground problem, however it was the front right turn signal not grounding through the housing.

P.S. spend the extra money on good quality (O.E.M.) signals. thanks for the help, Jeff

5. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

If you have a problem with a rear light that is corrected by cleaning the ground for the front lamp, you may still have a ground problem in the rear lamp housing. The lamps in the housing share a common ground and if it is bad, the curent will find a ground by flowing through a common wire to another bulb in the same circuit; in this case the front.

6. Shark56

Shark56 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks. I have run it about a week with no issues so far. I started with all new bulbs and cleaned both rear lights and mounts. Still had problems. I then went to front lights and replace both Signal housings with new OEM. All lights started working fine. I need to replace the rear with better quality lights also.