1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric MB advise/?

Discussion in 'Bicycling' started by Live to Ski, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Live to Ski

Live to Ski

Recent medical issues hinder my ability to walk on uneven terrain (dirt roads, etc.).

Previously, I have depended on walking out as last resort if trouble occurs in my offroad wandering (never had to do). 'course, that avenue is now NG, so looking for a new "life boat" concept....electric MB (mini-bikes = too heavy).

After using search in this forum, I don't see any recent (post '10) threads.

Anyone have any advise as to which electric MB would serve this purpose (no serious extended technical riding, just bailing in typical expo type terrain, say max 50 miles....can you say white rim trail).

2. Dzrtcrzr

Dzrtcrzr

Have you looked into maybe Fat E-bikes from some of the major brands like specialized? Are you looking for full electric or like a pedal assist.

3. Live to Ski

Live to Ski

Well, I think pedal assist might be good in that if battery craps out......just put a beer on a stick....:beer: And they are lighter in weight (remember x2...one for the wifey)...I think.

gregnash likes this.
  4. Dork

Dork SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    What kind of budget are you thinking? Most of the big name brands in mountain bikes are doing an E-mtb of some sort these days, which would be the pedal assist style, not full moto. A bike like that would be in the 40-50lb range, but also in the $3000+ ballpark.

5. Live to Ski

Live to Ski

$3000 is basically the cost of admission to any mountain bike (motorized or not), so that is what I expect to pay.

Fat bikes: thinking those are a little on the heavy side. As it is, my regular bike is approx 20-30#, so doubling up on that will be an adjust.

6. coleAK

coleAK

i have a buddy with a volt e fat bike that he has had all kinds of problems out of. Breaking down, battery life, no where near the weight capacity claimed...

7. Live to Ski

Live to Ski

Problems: not surprising since 1) accelerated push (last 2-3 yrs) to get 'me in the mainstream 2) the multitude of unproven new players jumping into the market.

Seems to be the Wild West in this area.

8. coleAK

coleAK

He is into it for about $10k. On his 3rd motor. Now that the major brands are in the game things will probably get better. I have another friend that got a pedal assisted to help his wife pull a 2 kid tra

9. coleAK

coleAK

Pull A 2 kid trailer, it’s a Giant the cross bike version. I think it’s called the tough road.