Electric MB advise/? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recent medical issues hinder my ability to walk on uneven terrain (dirt roads, etc.).

Previously, I have depended on walking out as last resort if trouble occurs in my offroad wandering (never had to do). 'course, that avenue is now NG, so looking for a new "life boat" concept....electric MB (mini-bikes = too heavy).

After using search in this forum, I don't see any recent (post '10) threads.

Anyone have any advise as to which electric MB would serve this purpose (no serious extended technical riding, just bailing in typical expo type terrain, say max 50 miles....can you say white rim trail).

Have you looked into maybe Fat E-bikes from some of the major brands like specialized? Are you looking for full electric or like a pedal assist.

Well, I think pedal assist might be good in that if battery craps out......just put a beer on a stick....:beer: And they are lighter in weight (remember x2...one for the wifey)...I think.

What kind of budget are you thinking? Most of the big name brands in mountain bikes are doing an E-mtb of some sort these days, which would be the pedal assist style, not full moto. A bike like that would be in the 40-50lb range, but also in the $3000+ ballpark.

$3000 is basically the cost of admission to any mountain bike (motorized or not), so that is what I expect to pay.

Fat bikes: thinking those are a little on the heavy side. As it is, my regular bike is approx 20-30#, so doubling up on that will be an adjust.

i have a buddy with a volt e fat bike that he has had all kinds of problems out of. Breaking down, battery life, no where near the weight capacity claimed...

Problems: not surprising since 1) accelerated push (last 2-3 yrs) to get 'me in the mainstream 2) the multitude of unproven new players jumping into the market.

Seems to be the Wild West in this area.

He is into it for about $10k. On his 3rd motor. Now that the major brands are in the game things will probably get better. I have another friend that got a pedal assisted to help his wife pull a 2 kid tra

Pull A 2 kid trailer, it’s a Giant the cross bike version. I think it’s called the tough road.

I obviously don't know your condition, but based on what you said, I can't imagine you riding a bike for 50 miles, electric assist or not.
If you can't pick up a mini bike, how would you recover from falling off the mtb after 20 miles of riding. I understand it will be "easy overland road" but honestly when I'm riding that is when it can get the most dangerous. When the road turns downhill its easy to let yourself pick up speed, especially when you are tired, one decent pothole or eight inch rock and you are toast.

I think you should invest in satellite communication and get some sort of rescue service/insurance.

I hope your condition does not stop you from getting out there! Find a way to make it happen.

Recent medical issues hinder my ability to walk on uneven terrain (dirt roads, etc.).

Previously, I have depended on walking out as last resort if trouble occurs in my offroad wandering (never had to do). 'course, that avenue is now NG, so looking for a new "life boat" concept....electric MB (mini-bikes = too heavy).

After using search in this forum, I don't see any recent (post '10) threads.

Anyone have any advise as to which electric MB would serve this purpose (no serious extended technical riding, just bailing in typical expo type terrain, say max 50 miles....can you say white rim trail).

Anyhow, I too am looking for a fun bike, but since I'm solo traveler back up is sometimes an issue. I can walk, but then it's
usually over 100 miles back from where I go. I've been scouring the interweb, US and Europe. There are dozens of companies
now building some really cool, innovative bikes for all kinds of skills and requirements. Some are definitely targeting hunters and
back country folks.
This one is the least expensive and simple for maintenance. Mech disc brakes as opposed to hydraulic, etc. And add ons cost more
as some companies come fully loaded, but cost more initially but cost less if you dress the RAD bike up more.
Anyhow, for me this one folds. Very handy for carrying in a truck, could easily stick it on top of fuel cans, or on roof.
It's fatbike, which I find cool. But they also are extremely forgiving. I've ridden 5" fat bike back and forth across a street
curb and it just tracks back and forth. NO balance issues at all. As for using it as an escape ride it would be ideal.
I have no affiliation with this company. They ship direct so unless you live in Seattle not sure how many stores they have.
2018 RadMini Electric Folding Fat Bike

Last edited:
Cruder pilot: that looks awsome! FB just crossed my radar as spotted a person pedaling about 1 mph on the beach. He mentioned that he travels 7 mi each way over sand, point rocks, an gravel w/o issue. Thing I like is that you can go slow enough that falls are minimalized.

Justintpryor: in preach goes w/o saying. Sometimes you just don't dig calling the cavalry (like to fetch a part or...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom