Easy way to remove output shaft retainer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
I had rebuilt my transfer case last year but now after the H55 Swap I need to reset the rear output shaft bearing preload. This means removing the rear output shaft rear bearing retainer, problem is that I can't get this thing off. WTF. too much Anaerobic Sealer...?

Stupid thing to ask on the forum but hell..

remind me, the retainer can spin right?

It normally comes off without too much persuasion after the 6 bolts are removed. I never struggled with it.
Gasket was probably glued down with some sort of sealant.
Try tapping it with a plastic hammer or maybe getting under an edge with a chisel and pry it up?
Not sure about trying to spin it. I wouldn’t forcefully try that if it’s an unknown.

4F7354F6-21F6-405B-91F6-F224EBA99E80.jpeg

Why do you need to “reset” the bearing preload? That shouldn’t change unless the bearing is worn out.

Why do you need to “reset” the bearing preload? That shouldn’t change unless the bearing is worn out.
suspecting it's the cause of a whine over 50 mph. Stethoscoped it and it seems much prevalent on the retainer. Also I hear a click when I pull and push the flange after taking off the driveshaft.

I installed the bastard last year using a new bearing. Popped right off.

I think I found the cause. I took some pics/vids of the TC before I put it back together. I either grabbed FIPG or/and I over applied it the previous time I put it together....

1653364477356.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom