Events/Trails Eastern Sierra's, Coyote Plateau, Labor Day Weekend 9/1-5 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phalconoverland.com
Yes, this trip ... again. No I don't have time to prerun anything else.... but we will change it up a bit this year. Here is a link to last year's trip.... Eastern Sierras, Coyote Flats, 8/26-30 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/eastern-sierras-coyote-flats-8-26-30.1256002/

Since we have the extra day off and our camp spot has never been crowded we'll keep this on one Labor day weekend. The two differences will be departure time and lake of choice to fish.

Initial Schedule:

Thursday: Travel day, however, due to scheduley things, we are going to depart around 12PM (gets us there around dinner time, kids get hungry...) and spend Thursday night in Bishop. For those who want to caravan, let's plan on wheels up at noon at the 76/15 ride and drive. It's about 6 hours and we should miss traffic leaving mid day. If anyone wants to leave earlier and head straight up go for it, we'll see you there Friday morning. I'll post up a hotel for those spending the night in Bishop. We can grab some dinner and a few beers after the drive up there.

- There are lots of options in town but for a quick night we are going to stay at this hotel. It has lots of rooms available.

Dinner: If we have a big group we can go here.. Whiskey Creek - Fine Dining in Bishop, CA - https://whiskeycrk.com/.

Friday: Get breakfast and head up the mountain. We should be at camp around 10AM. I'll lead a group in to Funnel that afternoon for some wheeling. The kids can have fun around the lake for a while.

Saturday: Fishing!!! We are going to do Green lake. Fish reports are generally good. Fish are most active in the morning so we'll gauge for an earlier departure getting back to camp mid afternoon.
1655852041527.png

Sunday: Hidden and/or Baker lakes. It's basically the same hike since they are next to each other but longer. I'll keep looking for trip reports as Hidden was quite low last year. The good thing though is that the fish were easy to catch. My oldest boy caught 11 trout.

Monday: Drive home.

Attendees:
- Elripster + 3 boys
- Butch F
- Phulcrum + boy
- Lancruising
- Hamiltons
- Nckwltn + 2 kids
- Loober, General, Dog.
- Big Pickle (Raptor) + 2 boys
- Mopey + 1
- Mr. T
- Noob@Life + 1

Menu:

Thursday: Dinner in town
General munchies
- Butch F: Blue fin and tuna bellies
Friday night: Italian
- Phulcrum: Spaghetti
- Elripster: Garlic bread
- Mopey: Meatball Subs
- nckwltn: Pasta salad
- Justsendit: Seafood carbonara
Saturday night: Fajitas / mexican
- Elripster: Couple of pounds of meat and tortillas
- Mopey: Pulled pork tacos
- Phulcrum: Fish Fajitas
- Justsendit: Bacon fried corn
- nckwltn: Spanish rice
Sunday night: Dutch oven cook off
- Elripster: An appetizer
- Mopey: Jambalaya
- Phulcrum: Chicken and Dumpling Soup
Monday: Head home

Things to remember:
Comms: GMRS 22, CB 22, FRS 22, or HAM 146.490.
Bring extra gas, I usually bring 5 gallons.
This is completely primitive camping so bring all the creature comforts you might need, shower tent, toilette provisions , etc... water...
We are camping at 10k feet, weather can change quickly, be prepared for warm and cold.

Swimming: That can happen. I am not sure how cold the lakes are but if you are feeling adventurous bring a bathing suit.

How to get there: If not caravaning, simply Google funnel lake. When on the flats, you will make a right turn per the picture below over a small hill and drop into the camping area. If you get to where you turn right for funnel, you want to turn around and go back to this turn.

Where we camp:
1624399059012.png

Another view...
1655851714182.png

This is the road you turn on, the camp spot is a ways down on the right.

1624399958359.png

This camping spot has a dried small pond surrounded by trees. It is well protected from wind, is flat, and is great for the kids to ride their bikes, etc...
1655852291247.png

1624399308702.png

Brennan's first fish!
1655852369642.png

A few more pics...

The kiddo contingent..
1655852322497.png

Let's have a great trip!

Frank

Last edited:
I plan to come this year again, my son won't be making it since school starts the week before.

Friends, here is a good site to check up on things like snow pack, etc... Interestingly, there was a lot of precipitation 8/1 and there was still snow on the peaks as of yesterday.

Linda and I are planning to make this one.

Too bad you guys aren't going next week. Kids are off now but will be back in school by Labor Day. Sounds like a fun trip. Enjoy!

Too bad you guys aren't going next week. Kids are off now but will be back in school by Labor Day. Sounds like a fun trip. Enjoy!
Same here, so maybe a bonus for me, no kids on this trip mean less work for me. :doh:

It's always a challenge as far as dates. On one side most of us get a free day off around Labor Day. However, it often interferes with school. My kids go back after labor day. Next year I'll move it up a week. The kiddos love this place.

Frank

Looks like I'll be coming along as well. Will probably leave Thursday and go all the way up, so I'll see you guys Friday morning.

Most fantastic news TheSendit.

Looks like myself and the General, along with Scott, the white knight will be cruising up as well.

Very cool!

For the potluck, if you have any plans post 'em up. Here is the proposed menu.

Thursday: Dinner in town
Friday night: Italian
Saturday night: Fajitas / mexican
Sunday night: Dutch oven cook off
Monday: Head home

Frank

I'll probably head back on Sunday, so I'll miss pot luck night, but I'll pitch in for Italian and Mexican.

Is there some kind of coordination/planning so we don't all have pots of spaghetti?
yes ,sorry it should have been spelled out. If you plan to bring something for a potluck (they are optional but recommended we have great chefs in the club) post what you plan to bring here and frank will update the main post accordingly.

I will be making sghetti.

Hamilton and I plan to drive up Wednesday and stay in Bishop, heading to camp Thursday morning after breakfast. So for those coming up later, look for a white 80 series and a white 4runner.

I added Phulcrum's contribution to the menu list. Post up and I'll add as they come in.

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom