Early 69 Carb Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pick'd up this early 69 carb (3-69 to 9-69) and am rebuilding it. I was thinking of putting it on my F145 and see how it goes. Questions are...What is the thing with the Blue wire?, I assume the blue wire goes to the + Coil., How would I connect the Vacuum advance from the dizzy, currently it connects to a threaded fitting on the 1bb carb and where would the pneumatic connection for the choke go?

The F engine manual does not cover this carb at all. :meh:
P1000595.jpg
P1000555.jpg

Yeah kinda does, but I think it's some type of magnetic switch.

Thought, if anyone is running one of these carbs perhaps you could post some photos of how it's setup?

Thanks
Keith

Yeah kinda does, but I think it's some type of magnetic switch.

Thought, if anyone is running one of these carbs perhaps you could post some photos of how it's setup?

Thanks
Keith

Keith
I have the same carb on mine. I will take pictures later and post them. That item is the idle solenoid. Mine is hooked up to the 12volt on the coil. I lost my connection once and the result was poor idling. I mean it idled faster and fluctuated.

Frank

First question: Why?
That is a little tiny 32/36 carb for a 2.0L engine. Way too small for an F engine.

The solenoid is the decel valve. It is normally closed. When the engine is coasting, the computer energizes the valve and allows extra air into the engine to prevent rich mixture.

Remove & discard valve, cap off both nipples where is attached at the top & bottom of carb.

There is no ported vac connection on the 32/36 for dissy advance.

The choke breaker gets connected to a source of manifold vacuum.

That is a little tiny 32/36 carb for a 2.0L engine. Way too small for an F engine.

The solenoid is the decel valve. It is normally closed. When the engine is coasting, the computer energizes the valve and allows extra air into the engine to prevent rich mixture.

Remove & discard valve, cap off both nipples where is attached at the top & bottom of carb.

If it is way to small, why did Toyota use it?
If you remove the item for rich mixture on decel, will you now run rich since it is gone?
My 1969 has a port and the base of the carb runs to a VSV and then to the distributor? Is this correct?
I have a manual choke, what is a choke breaker?

Thanks

Currently running the original 1bb and was hoping for a little better performance - "a little".

Thanks for the picture, where do the two small vacuum lines go?

Both of those lines go to a Vacuum Switching Valve, (VSV). The manual talks about this so I am not sure when it switches but you have sparked my interest. I will investigate and post images of the valve tomorrow. FJ40Jim said to do without the solenoid but I have never tried that. I hope he chimes in and talks about this issue as if it is not needed, why is it there?

If it is way to small, why did Toyota use it?
Because they had to. The 1-bbl was not capable of meeting the more stringent 1969 emissions standards, and the new Cruiser specific 38/38 was under development but was not yet ready for US smog testing. So they grabbed the smog certified 32/36 off the Crown sedan, slapped it on the cruiser for 6months, and squeaked by.

If you remove the item for rich mixture on decel, will you now run rich since it is gone?
No. The decel valve is to reduce the rich mixture under closed throttle coasting. It doesn't affect normal driving or idling, only coasting in gear.

My 1969 has a port and the base of the carb runs to a VSV and then to the distributor? Is this correct?
Possibly.

I have a manual choke, what is a choke breaker?
Choke Breaker is the vacuum can that opens the choke slightly once the engine is running (it breaks open the closed choke).

:cheers:

Thanks Jim, great info and an interesting history lesson. So as carbs go what would be a good upgrade for an F145?

A 38/38 from a 70-74 F engine is a good fit.

FJ40Jim,
I also thank you for your input. It makes sense. Please look at this thread again as I will post my image of the VSV and my rig is all stock. It may help to determine what carb to put on. Thanks again.

@thebigredrocker - Thanks! You're a genius! This thread is great. I now understand this a lot better.

I've talked with @65swb45 about possibly switching to a later carb. I may eventually do that.

For now, though, I'm gonna try and run what I have. I'm gonna clean out this old fuel, and fire it up! (I'll keep an extinguisher handy!)

@thebigredrocker - Thanks! You're a genius! This thread is great. I now understand this a lot better.

I've talked with @65swb45 about possibly switching to a later carb. I may eventually do that.

For now, though, I'm gonna try and run what I have. I'm gonna clean out this old fuel, and fire it up! (I'll keep an extinguisher handy!)

If you have the original washer nozzles might pull the one on the driver's side at least. Over thirty years ago was running one of those oil coated foam filter with a Holley carburator. Back fired and caught the filter on fire. The nylon piece the nozzle rotates in melted. Bought a replacement from Toyota. Was all plastic. That was a long time ago but if I checked I'm sure I would find it back to original. Thirty years ago wrecked 40s were a lot easier to find then today.

Small world Alfred. I think outback bob was the guy I was telling you about yesterday.

And here is proof the the adapters fit even the oddball carb. Your parts will ship Monday.
IMG_0136.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom