Dying LJ78.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

and two pajeros in surrey have also had catostropic failures a total of 3 with blown motors and the 4 th with crank walk is getting an allign bore for the mains as we speek those are just people i know

ill pm you with the info, ill find out exactly what happened ok,

yes, that would be great...

i have sold a number of Delicas with the 2.5 in the last 2 years with NO WARRANTY issues but if there is a short coming then i want to know about it...

i know the pre 1990 2.5 had issues but the 1990 and newer were supposed to be much better...

We have sold over 30 delicas and only had one with a head issue so far, leaking diesel pumps is common though..

I don't think any of the small diesel's are totally infailable but, I agree the 2.5 mitsi 4D56 is holding up a lot better than the 2lte

WOLF DEN, how long or how many miles did the 2lte last?

1 week :crybaby: this is my 2nd unit in 6 weeks i acquired. 1st unit no probs and have placed over 5k kilometers on it in 7 weeks.:D the 2nd one had 170k kilometers on it when i bought it (used from Japan). then 1 week later it was tow truck time on my way to the shop to have it fixed for emitting black thick smoke.

wish i had the time upgrade the mill but it has to go on a long trip this friday. so on with a 2lte again :crybaby:

have a safe trip

Hi,there. its been a while since i posted. my LJ78 engine has been giving me big problems and its basically a terminally ill one. i'm doing a 1KZ-TE swap.the engine came from a toyota granvia 4x4 van. if the engine dies don't have a rebuild if possible. change the engine. these 2LTE are only good for short slow trips anything more than a hway strech and 80kmh above will eventually kill it. or just give you tons of headaches. I hope my swap to a KZ won't give me another set of migraines. :D

che patagonia
you can do 2 things:
1) get your cruiser on a truck and take it to Argentina where you can have the engine redone with a new head, a complete overhaul(very $$).
2) get down to Iquique with your rig and for 2 grands you can find a descent engine. or at least better than what you have on.

Hi, You posted your problem some time ago, but.... I have a manual on Toyota's that says "don't remove the thermostat, that will make it run hotter." It works on Chev type systems but not on Toyotas. Put it back!
hi all,

My LJ78 appears to have died. Problem is, i live in Argentina and it died in Bolivia, so this forum maybe my saviour in rescuing it, or at least giving me some info to pass to the (dubious) Bolivian mechanics...

Basically, it's been overheating a lot recently, particularly on climbs. I thought it maybe the altitude effecting compression (3000m plus asl) but when i took it down to sea-level problems continued. Radiator has been cleaned, all filters replaced, oil changes have been regular. She had a new head gasket (impactadora / junta) to see if this rectified it, old one looked pretty burnt. still no difference though. It seems to me that the water isn't circulating properly (no noises from pump though). Tried changing thermostat for one that opens at 75 degrees instead of 88, also ran it with no thermostat at all. Fan has been fixed, so no viscous coupling to go wrong.

Symptons are strange. Needle indicates its running quite cold until it suddenly climbs towards the red, by which time i stop, take the cap off and the vapor and boiling water eject about 6 feet..... Once cool, i can empty 7 litres of water back, this means in a few miles its either lost 7 litres or turned it to vapor, which seems a lot. No apparent leaks though....

Also, possibly a linked cause, exhaust puts out thick black smoke on acceleration, and not just at start up, all the time. Cleaned the injectors but this didn't really help.

Any one experienced similar problems and have any ideas. !!

cheers!

on my 2lte i took the bottom c-clip off and removed the spring. i use it in the mountains as in i drive the HOPE-PRINCETON hwy 3 every 2 days theres a lot of steep areas on that road the highest i have had the water temp is 195 f works great others will say different.

Hey Patagonia,
If you are at all near Santa Cruz, I have contact that has sold a lot of Japanese market used engines (diesels) to my friends. His phone number is 541 3 333.8402. Mr Du. His son Albert speaks English, and a guy named Angel works in the shop. I only met his daughter a couple of times - my brother went to school with them.

I am in Cochabamba, and don't have many contacts here that I would trust with a sharp stick :) Best bet is either the truck as Patagonia Cruiser mentioned, or putting a 15B-T with 5 speed in there :) Have fun.

Blew a head again Grrrrrr........ But i found a brand new head which has thicker metal on the combustion chamber side and has additional cooling lines on it. Looks promising.

The cracked head was my fault, I did not bleed the air out of the system when i flushed the radiator Sheeeesh..... what an expensive mistake........

sorry to hear that expensive mistake we still dont know why they crack
some people say high egt, and some like yourself with proof of low coolent crack head hmmmmm.?!
with the 3l head , c clip off of the bottom of thermostat, top plate still in place i run the 78 sometimes up to ten hours staight in the mountains maintaining 100km/h i have put over 120,000 km on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom