DYI cluster restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Excellent work

I got my fiberglass polishing pen today. so I decided to give it a try. wow that deal really made short work of polishing the copper on the board.
KIMG0154.jpg
before
KIMG0155.jpg
after...
I like working on these small parts I can do it in the house in the a.c. while I watch Gunsmoke!:)

Today I got my winter green oil in the mail I read a thread by @bapmia about restoring rubber the rubbers in my cluster weren't real crusty but the ones around the small glass were a little stiff and cracked in the corners so I thought I'd try to boil them in the oil as instructed by the thread
KIMG0164.jpg
KIMG0157.jpg
made a wire bottom not sure this was necessary
KIMG0162.jpg
i brought to a boil and simmered for 45 min the thread said not to do this inside I second that after the fact it's real strong and our faces are burning be just a little
KIMG0168.jpg
im a believer my rubbers look brand new and are flexible and clean;)

So I decided while I'm resting, waiting for my guage stickers to come in. I'd work on my glove box door.
KIMG0170.jpg
first I pulled everything off and took it to my handy dandy homemade sand blasting cabinet
KIMG0174.jpg
then I primed and painted then cleaned up the door pull
KIMG0175.jpg
KIMG0176.jpg
KIMG0177.jpg

So my numbers came in thank you Daniel from Gauge M arks for the friendly service and fast shipping also for a quality product
DSCF0352.JPG
DSCF0353.JPG
my :princess:ask if i would like her help. shes got some experience in with vinyl so i said yes i would! then i pretty well just watched and held the light. it's a little tricky to do to be honest. i have giant hands that just act retarded with dainty small items.
DSCF0354.JPG
DSCF0355.JPG
the others are a little easier to do cause, they have some line up dots. the speedo takes a little eyeballing
DSCF0356.JPG

Thank you to my wife for her help with the vinyl now. I've got to attach back the gauge plates to the gauges.
DSCF0360.JPG
the amp meter uses screws it was simple. the rest use rivets i had a time finding some small enough.
DSCF0362.JPG
i had to make the holes just a fudge bigger and then it worked great!
DSCF0363.JPG
all like new again
DSCF0364.JPG
:rimshot::bounce::rimshot::bounce2:

Now for the odometer i really hadn't planned on getting to deep into this part. I figured i could just spray some cleaner in there and move on. But the more i cleaned on it the more i realized it was going to have to come apart. basically the numbers were stuck with dried up old grease.
DSCF0365.JPG
DSCF0366.JPG
Tried to keep everything together and clean one at a time and put it back the way it was. I was a little nervous about screwing up and ended up forgetting to take pictures.
DSCF0367.JPG
DSCF0368.JPG

Put together time! :D Hope i remember how it goes back together. First the turn signal arrows get glued in.
DSCF0369.JPG
then the high beam indicator light cover.
DSCF0370.JPG
DSCF0371.JPG
mounted the speedo and siliconed all the rubbers in and mounted the glass.
DSCF0373.JPG
i shined up this grounding block and the spring on the fuel gauge that mounts to it. (sorry about my sucky pictures)
DSCF0375.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom