DURABAK LINER-Product Review & Apllication (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Durabak bed liner coating arrived today, I ordered the tan color off Ebay about a week ago. So I thought I'd post a few notes on it in case anyone else is thinking of using it.

DURABAK is a polyurethane coating with rubber granules mixed in. I was surprised at the texture as it was quite liquid and the granules were smaller than I thought they would be. It mixed up nicely at the consistency in the can with no thinning. I figured it would be thick and hard to stir but not so. The rubber granules in the tan color are white. In the darker colors they use recycled tires.

The use instructions come with directions for applying to bare metal, wood, conrete, and all kind of surfaces so it has many uses and a protective coating or non-slip coating.

It was $119 for the "kit" , all the kit consisted of was 2 rollers and the gallon of Durabak. For that price goggles, gloves, and a paper suit would've been a welcome courtesy

I wasn't sure if I just wanted it on the floor on on the fender wells and sides as well so I taped up and did just the floor to see how it looks.

The first coat is supposed to go on thin and over fully cured paint. My tub is painted with polyurethane so I knew it would be compatible. The instructions say to do a test area. I sanded down and then cleaned up with XYLENE just before painting. You have to use XYLENE for this not paint thinner or another substitute if you don't want to cause problems.

After about an hour it was somewhat sticky despite it being a hot humid night here in Florida and I applied the second coat. In the pics it is not long after being applied so it may dry to a little different color and not be so shiny.

After 2 coats I have more than half left but I only did the floor
in the corners where I couldn't reach I used a foam brush and dabbed the durabak in. That worked pretty good and gave a similar look as the roller if you work at it.

I found that after rolling it out going over it with no pressure on the roller in one direction smoothed it out nicely, I also put the first coat on in one direction then put the second on at a 90 degree angle to the first--side to side and front to back.

I'm pretty pleased with how it went on --it looks good and doesn't have the feel of a "cheapo" solution. I was a little worried after all the work I put into the tub going to bare metal, por 15, chassis coat, then top coat primer, then polyurethane, and now the DURABAK!

After all that I want a good result! But in the long run I think the protection and ease of cleaning will make it worthwhile plus the durabak helps to deaden sound.

Use gloves if you want clean hands for the week following use-its a bit like POR15 in that respect but not quite so hard to clean off afterwards

So now I have 2 coats on it is nearly full coverage I can just make out the paint underneath in a few spots so 1 or 2 more coats tomorrow.

A word of warning with the xylene (XYLOL). Dont get it on any plastic (or rubber?) because it will eat plastic. I had a rag damp with xylene and had set down my handheld police scanner on it somehow and it melted the battery door and case pretty severely!

I'll post the final pics after it's all de-taped and finished
fjtub 008.jpg
fjtub 006.jpg
fjtub 003.jpg

Looks good

looks good man, nice job..hope it keeps you happy for a long time. ill throw up some pics once mine is complete..

Finished

here is the final product. Now to get all that wiring back in!:cool:
fjtub 007.jpg
fjtub 008.jpg
fjtub 011.jpg

First off I think it looks great!!!! A question i have is with a rubber base to it how do you think it will hold up to heat? Then again it shouldnt matter it is not like we dont have plenty of room to route exhaust.

Should be great

heat

Don't think it will be a prob the base is polyurethane it just has rubber granules in it.

My exhaust is pretty low so I will be tucking it up a little but I plan on shielding it so it doesn't make the floor hot if needed

My exhaust is pretty low so I will be tucking it up a little but I plan on shielding it so it doesn't make the floor hot if needed

Perfect probabably wouldnt have been an issue anyway but i screwed up on a samurai one time and used ruibberized undercoating on the floor to quiet it down and it would smoosh.

Yours will be fine and it looks great

how rough is it? Will it take the skin off your feet if you're barefoot??

Looks great bsmith123 !!!

What would you estimate the total thickness is? How many coats did it take for full coverage?

Next time you may want to try a schutz gun ( undercoater gun)... goes on fast with heavy mil thickness and hard to mess up.... under $10 iirc

just a FYI

"Next time you may want to try a schutz gun ( undercoater gun)... goes on fast with heavy mil thickness and hard to mess up.... under $10 iirc" :meh:;) I have heard they work well but I think the roller did a good consistent job. I was happy as long as it did not turn out with clumps and brush marks like some I have seen

"how rough is it? Will it take the skin off your feet if you're barefoot??"

probably you would not want to push your hand across it fast--but you can top coat it with smooth or just use smooth

so you did 2 coats total? yup and that gave a consistent look. Not too much means I can do a top coat with the smooth when it gets looking bad--it is a light color

I really like the job you did. It looks great. I would love to see one in person who has "Durabacked" with the smooth over the rough. The problem I have is the home jobs I have seen end up looking terrible. Probably a lack of prep work, or inferior product... Not sure. Thanks for the pics and the info! Mark:beer:

Application guide

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
I think just a wipedown with xylene and roll it on. This stuff is so sticky I think you could paint grease with it!

Cote-L Distribution Company

The Durabak System
Brush/Roll on Method
(To Spray Use an Undercoating Gun)
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Ventilate Work Area [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Items You Will Need (Not included) [/FONT]
100 Grit Sand Paper
sandpaper.gif
Rubber Gloves
gloves.gif
Metal coating Tray
painttray.gif
4" coating Roller Cage
paintroller.gif
2" coating Brush
paintbrush.gif
Masking Tape
tape.gif
2 Quarts Xylene Solvent
paintcan.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Now You Are Ready to Begin [/FONT]

1. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
  2. Scrape out and clean heavy dirt and grime
  3. Remove drain plugs
  4. Mask off mounting bolts, brackets, screw heads, etc.
  5. Mask off areas that are not to be coated with Durabak
  6. Using 100 grit sand paper, abrade all surfaces where Durabak is to be applied, leaving no glossy areas
  7. Blow out or wipe down truck bed or jeep tub, etc removing all sanding dust.
  8. Using rubber gloves, wipe down all sanded areas with xylene (note: do not use lacquer thinner or other solvents)
  9. When Xylene has dried (about 1/2 hour) open the Durabak and stir with an electric drill or coating stick
  10. Pour a portion of the Durabak into the roller tray, cover the can, and begin your application.
  11. Apply first coat as a thin coat to cover. Do not try to "color" coat with the first application; it is ok to have some of the base color show through. The second coat will color coat.
  12. Fill in seams, corners and hard to reach areas with a 2" coating brush and dab the Durabak.
  13. Next apply the Durabak to the side panels.
  14. After the first coat has been applied allow the Durabak time to set up (apprx 1 hour).
  15. Pour a little xylene over the roller pads and brushes to prevent dry out
  16. The second coat can be applied as soon as the first coat is tacky or touch dry (usually about 1 hour).
  17. An optional accelerator packet may be added to hasten the drying and curing process.
  18. Repeat application process for second coat
  19. Remove masking tape immediately after applying the second coat
  20. Allow the Durabak to dry for several hours (more in cold dry conditions and less in warm humid conditions).
  21. Avoid cleaning or chemical exposure for 4 days.[/FONT]

gray

Hey post it up! I think gray would be nice too. Too much black although I am already noticing fingerprints on mine so it will take some work to keep her clean---until I get over keeping it new looking anyway!;);)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom