Dual Electric Fan Aluminum Radiator for LQ4 Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a $1,499 (plus shipping) quote from Ron Davis for a custom built radiator with dual spal fans. That's seems a bit high to me. I was expecting for it to be $1,000 max incl. shipping. The parts are really adding up, as you swappers well know, so is there another solution to get the cooling I need for my LQ4 that will fit in my Cruiser? I've read other threads, but I don't feel confident with the stock FZJ80 radiator, especially since I plan on towing an off road camping trailer on my expeditions. I still want a radiator similar to what Ron Davis offers, just not at that price.

Found this pricey one on eBay:

There are plenty of aluminum radiators that will fit without the fans for around $230 - $250, but the Yukon Denali the LQ4 was pulled from had dual fans. Can I add the fans and shroud to one of these less expensive aluminum ones?

Just found these 2 cheaper options:

Last edited:
The pump on the motor, (I’m sure your replacing during swap ) should have a threaded boss on it for a clutch if you did want to go the mechanical fan route.

You can mix and match water pumps dependent if you want fan clutch and where you want water neck placement. IIRC, 2010 era was what I found to have best waterneck placement. Specifically the upper one. The lower is dependent on what t-stat housing you go with.

While we are on this subject, I’ll through this out there since I know you are gathering parts:

1999 Ford Explorer is perfect fitment for the lower radiator hose. Buy Gates brand.

I did a comparison of Ron Davis to those eBay aluminum ones as I could not swing RD but my buddy did. Made a nice radiator fan mount to fit a 16” and 11” maradyne fans.

I did a comparison of Ron Davis to those eBay aluminum ones as I could not swing RD but my buddy did. Made a nice radiator fan mount to fit a 16” and 11” maradyne fans.

Cool, thanks!

I used a radiator and dual 13” Spal fans from Steel Nutz in Murrieta, CA. Mike Uva is the guys name. I could not be happier !! An amazing clean, tidy product and it drops right into the std FZJ mounting locations. PM if you wanna chat about it. I think they are about $1200 now but in my opinion, worth every $ !

Regards...

Wierd....i just grabbed a Ron Davis with dual fans for $960ish shipped.

It Was one of their Offroad versions off the website with flow specs i needed. I wonder if you dont try to go with one of the generically sized ones on their website....vs full custom sizing specs.? Im betting that getting something "close" to 80 size in their off the shelf sizes would get it down to $900ish.

Wierd....i just grabbed a Ron Davis with dual fans for $960ish shipped.

It Was one of their Offroad versions off the website with flow specs i needed. I wonder if you dont try to go with one of the generically sized ones on their website....vs full custom sizing specs.? Im betting that getting something "close" to 80 size in their off the shelf sizes would get it down to $900ish.
Good advice, thanks.

Btw..... i was somewhat skeptical paying 3x what the others cost.......but having unboxed this one i can unequivocally say id do another for any other rad needs i run into. Its a very well done unit and shroud.

Not sure I completely followed this thread. But I went the direction of post #3 in this thread

I kept the stock radiator + RF50, to keep initial swap cost down over custom rad + custom shroud+ fan solution. Figured there would be unpredicted hits to the budget no matter what, and if I had cooling problems down the road, I’d deal with them as they came up, and the dough spent on the electric fans would not be wasted, rather reused for what ever the ultimate solution proved to be.

I live in a cold climate, but have had no problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom