Dual battery set up start....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got my washer bottle relocated, made the brackets for that, was pretty easy until the seal around the pump motor decided to leak. Guess he didn't want to move. All that is buttoned up, so on to the battery box. Found this one on summit racing. I rerouted done wires made some spacers for the height I wanted, painted, bolted and done. Did a trial mock up with my cranking battery for clearances. So far so good...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Do you have any more detailed pics on how you mounted that battery box???

^ x2. Most of us use the factory tray to add the aux battery to our 80's.

3 advantages:

1) there is a level of shielding of heat from the engine into the battery area
2) if you run a non-sealed battery, and some acid from the battery migrates out, it will pool in the factory tray and be routed reasonably safely to the ground versus corroding away your inside fender area.
3) all the mounting holes are already there to bolt the tray down securely. Just needs a small trim where it touches against the radiator.

cheers,
george.

Was there a reason you didn't go with a 91-92 OEM battery tray? It's a bolt in affair, no mods needed.
I just measured off the level side and cut the spacers out of 1/2 inch square tube. They are bolted straight through the fender. It's pretty straight forward. And to your point mryanangel, I guess cost. I've only got maybe, 35.00 dollars in it. All the factory boxes I saw for sale were way more than that.

^ x2. Most of us use the factory tray to add the aux battery to our 80's.

3 advantages:

1) there is a level of shielding of heat from the engine into the battery area
2) if you run a non-sealed battery, and some acid from the battery migrates out, it will pool in the factory tray and be routed reasonably safely to the ground versus corroding away your inside fender area.
3) all the mounting holes are already there to bolt the tray down securely. Just needs a small trim where it touches against the radiator.

cheers,
george.

Does this work for those of us with 3FE's? can I just get a FZJ box and mount my extra battery to the driver side? If so, what's the best source for one?

I believe the bolt holes are there (haven't checked on my 92 to be sure), but you would need to relocate the air tube or eliminate it I think.

I believe the bolt holes are there (haven't checked on my 92 to be sure), but you would need to relocate the air tube or eliminate it I think.

I'm not sure if the bolt holes on my 92 line up with the new battery trays. I would think that they would, but you're correct the blower fan will have to be removed. I removed mine about 6 months ago and haven't had any side effects. I can't remember where I read that its main purpose was to blow hot air away from the efi relay when the vehicle is parked, but I have already relocated mine into the cab so I haven't experienced any side effects.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yes, the later battery case fits the US driver's side fine on the early rigs, after you move a few things out of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom