DRL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys, DO NOT ASK ME HOW I figured it out today, but I figured out that the 2005 LX has the option of turning off the DRLs instead of hacking wires, as apart of the C-BEST settings. Oh how simple that was. wait WHAT?

I read a study done in Germany that used data from over 3 decades of testing and they said you are twice as likely to get into an accident without DRL then with them. I still wish you could turn them off when you wanted to.

Interesting, I just read a study that concluded that they do not benefit in terms of safety at all! Who knows what to believe. Regardless, I think they are stupid and am disconnecting them. I just dont like the way they look!

Thank you Jim Chow! Just clipped that wire and no more DRLs! Now I gotta go to the store and get a headlight, a fog light, and a tail-light bulb!

I have a 99 LC and it has the drl relay also and was wondering if it is the same procedure to disable the drl's. My wire on the A3 is white with black stripe as well.

Doing this today and FWIW the DRL current I measure in this line is 3.8 Amps.

Had to check as I installed a mini toggle switch up by the cluster and THEN dug up this old thread, I thought we were just switching a signal but we're actually switching the ground to the DRL circuit.

The DRL just runs the two high beams in series for lower output/current draw, smart and simple solution Mr T.

Also, when testing, the DRLs were not on after starting until I first released the handbrake and stepped on the brake pedal... didn't know there was an interlock and I'm not sure which brake did it.

if ebrake is set at engine start, DRLs dont come on until ebrake is released. They do not turn back off when you set the ebrake again, must cycle the ignition.

I did the ol' "snip, snip" and no more DRL's.

Sent from my iPhone. Clumsy fingers may contribute to mistakes.

Thanks. That makes sense as after 3 yrs with this LC I finally got around to restoration of the parking brake last week.

Added a disabling switch to my 2003 LC thanks to this thread!

IMG_3233.JPG

you pulled the wrong ground. Look at the wiring diagram that J chow posted. pages in the FSM how terminal numbering looking at from one side and the connector pages in the FSM show it the other way. it's probably the one on the right hand side in your pic, two positions over. If you have the electrical wiring book the first couple pages show position numbering depending on which way you're viewing the housing or cap.
IS there no resistor in your 2005 LC, that seems a little odd to me if there isn't.

that #4 post in this thread is the money post.

Last edited:
I guess it's ok if I add this here.
I made a crossover harness to enable the daytime running lights to work with LED bubs, it's all plug and play. Lou is selling them if anyone is interested. There are two versions, one for cars with an HID bi xenon conversions and one with straight regular low beams (no HID). Woks with any LC or LX 2003 and up that has the stock resistor from the factory or as part of the one put in as a result of the TSB campaign. It will also work with those that don't have the stock resistor. You'd need to add it onto the same ground wire that jim chow talks about. Lou can supply that also. (resistor)

Thanks jerryb. I was out of town this weekend camping and blinding other campers when I rolled in at night with my failed mod. Just pulled the other black and white striped wire on the top row of the relay and it worked. Looking back at post #4 and #8 with the diagrams, I think I followed it, my vehicle ('05) is just different as I ended up needing to pull "1A" from post #8. I'm glad I pulled out the wire instead of cutting it.

Upon further review (more than just shifting to drive in the garage) the DRLs are alive and well after pulling the other pin. Slacker, I'm not sure my 2005 will be able to do the same mod, the wiring may be different, but I'll take a look. Thanks for the suggestion.

If going the easy route using Techstream.

Click customize settings
102260FE-0D4C-47BE-BD19-56B4A6099735.jpeg

Go to light control
03EDDFC0-9364-47AD-BF83-166F80CCF405.jpeg

Turn the DRLs off then apply the settings
4F765964-4E26-42E5-8D3D-372A021832CE.jpeg

That’s all it takes

^^ was just about to post that. Don't understand why all the wire pulling/cutting when you can program them from techstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom