Drivetrain and Transfer case help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently restored my 78 FJ 40. During the process, I replaced the clutch and throw out bearing. I resealed the transmission (4 Speed) and transfer case. I also rebuilt the E brake. Prior to doing this, both the transmission and transfer case functioned correctly.

After reassembly, I get a vibration in the drivetrain when accelerating up through 30 MPH. At 50 MPH there is a noise that I can only describe as whir. The biggest concern I have however, is that when I apply the clutch to down shift or stop, I get a significant growling/vibration. The growling sounds like a rattling bearing.

Any advise and tips that would point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
RM

I did replace all leaf springs with a 2.5 inch lift form SOR. Regarding driveshaft phase, I made sure both yokes were aligned before reinstallation.

The drive line angle must be adjusted with shims, the shims go under the leaf packs.
I had the same issue with mine, then installed shims, problem solved.

Try this link post #11which explains the angle finding process: Expert Advice Needed for Drive Line Angle Shims

Does it make the noise all of the time or only while you are rolling?

Feedback: I went and was going to verify shaft angles and noticed that the rear shaft was 45 degrees out of phase. I corrected that issue. I suspected that this correction would solve the vibration issue going through 30 MPH. When I did the test drive, It corrected the vibration but also the grinding bearing noise while coasting down out of gear. Problems solved because of you great input...thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom