Drive train whine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Could a pinion bearing go bad and not be loose upon inspection? I have no slop in pinion flange in any direction.

Very interested in what you find. I've got exactly the same issue. My noise tends to trail off after 60mph though.

I'm not sure the jack stand idea will work as there will be no load on the gear set to create the noise, and it sounds a little scarry to me if you are the one under the vehicle.

The bearings that I've seen bad and making noise had scoring on the races. Not really loose.

If It matters I have the same problem with an on gas whine on my front diff. The oil got contaminated and burned pretty bad. 3 lube changes has helped but I need to tear it down at some point.

Very interested in what you find. I've got exactly the same issue. My noise tends to trail off after 60mph though.

Mine seems to quite down at higher speed also. How long has your 80 been doing it for?

I'm not sure the jack stand idea will work as there will be no load on the gear set to create the noise, and it sounds a little scarry to me if you are the one under the vehicle.

The bearings that I've seen bad and making noise had scoring on the races. Not really loose.

If It matters I have the same problem with an on gas whine on my front diff. The oil got contaminated and burned pretty bad. 3 lube changes has helped but I need to tear it down at some point.

How long has your diff been making the noise? Should I do the pinion set myself or sub it to a local shop? Any idea how much it should cost...ballpark without parts? Thanks Rick

Mine seems to quite down at higher speed also. How long has your 80 been doing it for?

I noticed it after a "spirited" wheeling trip to Tillamook State Forest back in May I think. I don't know if I damaged something there, or if it was that I was forced to do the speed limit for four hours due to heavy LEO presence all the way home.

I sure noticed it being excessively loud between 50 and 60. After 60 it tails off quite a bit, but at 55 it's louder than the stereo. You can hear the sound build, starting at around 20 mph- like a droning air raid siren that holds one note while on the throttle.

I have manual hubs (but a full time case- it's for my Longfields, don't ask) and the sound is not affected if my hubs are either locked or unlocked. Either way my axles are still spinning, they're just unloaded while the hubs are unlocked. I'm going to drop the front driveshaft and unlock the hubs to see if the noise goes away.

I'm putting it off until I can take her off the road for a heart transplant in the spring (hope it lasts that long). I'll likely fix whatever the howl is at that time.

Sounds alike for sure. Mine is loudest at 20 - 40 mph. I think the tire noise takes over a bit at higher speeds but I really can't hear it at all above 50.

anyone else out there had the same problem and fixed it?

Yup. Had the front diff rebuilt along with the axle. Bearings were rough probably because the previous owner let it run low on fluid due to leaking seals.

Did you have to do a new set of gears and a install kit? How much did it set you back for the whole deal? Thanks
Yup. Had the front diff rebuilt along with the axle. Bearings were rough probably because the previous owner let it run low on fluid due to leaking seals.

I had hella noise like this. After much work and numerous tear downs, found out it was the drive flanges. Old, many miles on them, howled. Exact same symptoms. Drive flanges

I paid $500 in labor plus the cost of the diff install kit (no new gears) and the axle kit. I would have saved money if I did the axle myself but I would of had to take the third member to be set by the mechanic anyway so I just had him do it all.

How did you come to the conclusion it was the drive flanges? Besides replacing. Was the noise gone immediatly?

Did the noise only happen when on gas?
I had hella noise like this. After much work and numerous tear downs, found out it was the drive flanges. Old, many miles on them, howled. Exact same symptoms. Drive flanges

It only made the noise when I was on the pedal. At first I only noticed it at about 50, but even at 20 it was there, just not as loud. I rebuilt the front, checked the bearings both sides like 8 Times. Think I even took pics of the worn flange as compared to the new one and posted them here. I'll try and find them

That pic would be cool. thanks. Did you just replace on a hunch? Mine is def. loudest at 20 - 40.

Found the pic but can't give you the link. Search worn drive flange=birf soup. The pic is in that. The old flange was rounded at every corner. Since the fix, no birf soup and I'm at 348 now.

Interesting pic. I do recall looking at the drive flanges when I recently did my front knuckle rebuild. I think I would have noticed if it looked that bad. But you never know so I will look anyways for reassurance.

Its been making the noise for about 1k miles now. I am very crazy when it comes to noises in a vehicle so I am sure its not that bad right now. Although its there and will get worse.

Is there a way to take off the pinion nut, flange and inspect?

Yes I am locked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom