Drag link and tie rod end replacement. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah definitely not a hard job especially if you have done your knuckles recently. Get that proper puller as it makes things much easier. Take pictures of the old setup with the TREs installed on the draglines but everything off and count the number of exposed threads for each TRE. This will help with setup on the new ones. The alignment process is a slow and meticulous one so take your time. I eventually got frustrated because I couldn't get it just right and took it to have it professionally done for all of $45.

I'm currently in the middle of the knuckle rebuild job and went ahead and started the removal/reassembly of the tie rods – discovered that the threads are too long one of the TREs... Anyone recommend a good way to cut this? Just a cut-off wheel on a grinder? How do you manage to not screw up the threads?

Thin cut off wheel probably, I did not have to cut them off but many have.

Last edited:
I would say the best thing for if you did have to cut them down, would be to put the proper threaded not on the adjustment threads first. Then make your cut. When you take off the nut, it will clean up the threads a little when it gets removed. Still won't produce a super clean thread but it should help.

Last edited:
I'm currently in the middle of the knuckle rebuild job and went ahead and started the removal/reassembly of the tie rods – discovered that the threads are too long one of the TREs... Anyone recommend a good way to cut this? Just a cut-off wheel on a grinder? How do you manage to not screw up the threads?
I had the same problem with the TRE kit I ordered from Cruiser Corps. Good quality Japanese parts, but for some reason the threaded male ends were 1/2" or so too long. I just used a die grinder and some patience. You don't actually have to cut the end off completely. Just use the grinder to reduce the diameter of the last 1/2" or so. The tie rod is hollow, so your newly-ground tip will fit past the end of the female threads.

I just replaced my TREs and Relay Rod ends yesterday. Some tips for anyone about to do this…

Use a ball joint puller for the pitman arm removals, it works WAY better than a pitman arm puller. You can rent it at Autozone for free.

Buy a new tie rod and relay rod. It’s well worth it to skip the hassle of getting the old ends out. If you are a conservationist and want to keep the old rods, make sure you have a vice or 2 solid pipe wrenches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom