Double manifold gaskets? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doing this procedure later today. I have a OEM gasket and a Downey gasket. I am going to Coppercoat them and install. Should it matter which gasket mates with the manifold? Also, I need help with the tightening sequence...any ideas??

check the FSM for that. Haynes has it too.

Is that the book the salesman went over with me when I bought my truck? :rolleyes:

I don't have the FSM or the Haynes Book (gasp) that's why I was asking. I guess it's off NAPA for an FJ40 Haynes Book.

Here's sequence as you look at the bolts

......5 .....1... 2..... 6.....
7 ...............................8
..........4 ..........3..........

Hope that makes sense

Here's sequence as you look at the bolts

......5 .....1... 2..... 6.....
7 ...............................8
..........4 ..........3..........

Hope that makes sense

Awesome way to illustrate your point!! I don't have 8 bolts because I have an F intake/exhaust manifold set up, so I will stop at 6.
Thank you!

Go through Toyota to get the FSM. It's been posted before, but their number is:

1-800-622-2033.

I paid ~ 23.00 for the 2F engine manual. The exact same manual went for 45.00 on Ebay. Call them and order them. I received my in 2 days.

Barry, you have a 6-into-1, right? Have you thought about cutting a split in the flange between the 3rd and 4th pipe? I would think it could relieve some stress on the flange if it felt like warping down the road.
5867HEADERS.jpg

Barry, you have a 6-into-1, right? Have you thought about cutting a split in the flange between the 3rd and 4th pipe? I would think it could relieve some stress on the flange if it felt like warping down the road.

hm. never occurred to me. Is that something commonly done?

anymore feedback or experiences with 2 gaskets and/or sealant? I am preparing to install 2 gaskets from Marks Offoad this evening and can't decide whether or not to use permatex ultra copper.

Since my last post on this thread anyway with just one fel-pro gasket and permatex + about 6-800 miles + retorgueing twice (which really didn't seem to need) + checking the seal with carb cleaner regularly, no problems.

Probably not, just thinking out loud...

Little too experimental for me. Have you done a header? Did you use sealant? Anyone?

I used it the first time with only one gasket with mediocre results. The frustrating thing is hearing different opinions about this from people I respect. Maybe thats a sign it doesn't matter much either way.

Getting ready to install a header on my 60, I've been told by a couple of people to double up the gasket, I know it sounds just plain wrong but they insist it will reduce the chances of the infamouse cruiser exhaust leek, and works well on stock manifolds as well, I don't know, I do know I don't want to pull it back apart later, the leek I've got now is absolutly annoying and am going to surface the intake as I'm sure it is warped also.....any thoughts about this double-up?, And it would be great to hear from someone that has actualy done this.Any advice would be helpful.

Ive never done it with my FJ60, but I used to have a C-10 with a straight 6 292 on it, pretty close to the 2F engine. I installed after market headers, and soon realized they were leaking, as my neighbors also realized it at 5 AM daily. I threw another gasket on and no more problem. I think the after market headers tend to warp a bit more than the stock manifold when you torque on them. All my opinion only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom