double din install question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the previous owner installed a single din radio. I want to install a double din. Explain to me how i do this without a dash kit. Crutchfield doesn't list a double din dash kit for the 80. Thanks

I have a double din in mine, it's super easy. I removed the old stereo and the useless cubby, then attached the mounting brackets to the new stereo and installed. I did create a custom harness so I could plug it all in w/o hacking the factory harness up. The dash rests in front of the stereo face, no mounting kit required.

If you have a single din, you will see that it is actually a single din and a plastic cubby installed together on a double din bracket. Just take them both out and put in your double din. You've already got all the bracketry you need.

Anybody have a good source for the oem brackets? P/O just had a single din radio placed in the opening. No kit, no brackets just sitting there loose and bouncy. Thanks.

I removed a single din and replaced with a double din on my 95. I didn’t need any additional brackets. Just the radio.

I removed a single din and replaced with a double din on my 95. I didn’t need any additional brackets. Just the radio.
There should be something that is L shaped to connect the body of radio to the dash. For example on my Subaru there are 2 plates that screw to the radio and have “ears” that screw into the Subaru.
View media item 92316
View media item 92317
This is the bracket I'm referring to. I'm pretty sure these were from the car side, not the radio side.

Second Edit: This is from a video on YouTube, guy is removing the Scion radio he installed and installing a new Sony double Din.
View media item 92324
Third and final edit. Ebay has them. Fairly universal as to be expected. I won't link them because someone like me will come along in 5-9 years and see this and wish it wasn't a link to an ebay listing that no longer works.
View media item 92325

The more work I do on this Cruiser, the more I realize how people before me cut corners and half assed everything.

Last edited:
Partsouq has them in stock so you local dealer should be able to get them.

1599952646660.png
1599952687806.png

Ooh picture with part number, you're too kind.

You should verify the part number is correct. I looked up 94 but I'm not a parts person.
Will do though I’m pretty confident this, like the harness, is fairly ubiquitous among Toyotas in this age range. Most Japanese cars were very easy to add radios to with a simple dash kit. The manufacturers tended to make their radios fit and connect the same way among their various models.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread......but better than starting a new one?!

I have a '94 LC, went to have a double din put in today (free install at Best Buy). My LC currently has no radio at all, and the guy at BB informs me that I have no radio brackets. For the '94 model, do I need the ones referenced above (and in link below)?

Or......Cruiser Parts says these are the brackets for a '94 model:

Or by chance do I need both kinds? Thanks!!

I have a '94 LC, went to have a double din put in today (free install at Best Buy). My LC currently has no radio at all, and the guy at BB informs me that I have no radio brackets. For the '94 model, do I need the ones referenced above (and in link below)?

You do need them. The one from toyotapartsdeal looks like the right one from when I did my swap. I think there's a different one for left and right, which I think is
86212-60050 and 86211-60050.

Side note, also make sure they use the plug to bypass your factory amp.

If it helps at all, I have a 91 and a 94. The brackets are identical across the 2 trucks. I did not require any trim kit for fitment of a kenwood double din unit & the OEM brackets attach directly to the head unit with no modification. I used metra wiring harness 70-1761 to connect the head unit to the factory connections. To bypass the factory amp, i just unplugged it (sort of behind the glove compartment).

The brackets you linked from cruiserparts do not look at all like the brackets in my trucks. 86211-60050 & 86212-60050 seem to be the ticket and cost less than a metra dash kit.

Last edited:
thanks, everyone, for the responses! Here are 2 pictures of the current situation......your thoughts? guessing I need the Metro wiring harness?

and parts 86211-60050 & 86212-60050? (still not sure about those brackets from Cruiser Parts and if I might need them too?)

also, can I use the factory amp with my new Sony double DIN stereo?

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

Last edited:
No, you cannot use the factory amp with any internally-amplified aftermarket receiver.

And yes, you need the brackets and the harness.

And I get that they're doing free installation, but if you can solder and/or do butt splice connectors, you're better off than how they'll likely butcher it.

thanks, everyone, for the responses! Here are 2 pictures of the current situation......your thoughts? guessing I need the Metro wiring harness?

and parts 86211-60050 & 86212-60050? (still not sure about those brackets from Cruiser Parts and if I might need them too?)

also, can I use the factory amp with my new Sony double DIN stereo?

View attachment 2846413

View attachment 2846414
I dont have any idea what the cruiser parts brackets are… the other ones will screw on to your head unit and in to 4 screw holes that i see in your pics. If you use the Metra harness (wire it yourself, easy enough) it will bypass the factory amp, which is what you want. There are 3 plugs in the factory stereo harness, one is what the original stereo plugged into. The gray one. The two white ones are what the Metra harness uses to allow you to bypass the amp.
5D032FD3-2E66-43BD-AADB-A17E19E93D24.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom