DOT Headlights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, who has them if I do get my 80 Series from Japan to Vancouver?

Since you are there, check out AMAYAMA.com They offer prices in Canadian dollars and
seem to be the least expensive. But I use the diagrams from MEGAZIP.com since they cover all
of the models, but their prices are higher and in US Dollars.
Just select same model and year as your truck but in LHD, either General Sales area or USA
Otherwise you have to play dog and pony looking for a used set, up to you.

I live in Ladysmith just up from Cobble Hill. I hope you bring that truck over, I'd sure like to see it. J

Thanks guys....Those DEPO lights look to be the best price but the probable lower cost of shipping from Amayama within Japan would be the easiest as cruiserpilot mentioned. Cheers cruiserpilot, Ladysmith is just up the road a bit hey. Sounds like a plan. Still can't find anyone willing to ship via container. Ro/Ro would be ok but I've got other stuff I'd like to send as well.

Easy to find again, though I think not as cheap as they used to be:
USA Plug & Play EURO Crystal Glass Headlights For 91-97 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80 | eBay

Greg and I installed a set in my 81 last week. Needed a bit of filing and hacksawing to make them fit, but overall not bad.
Huge upgrade from the crap lights I had before.

Wow, those are quite a bit more than they used to be. I wish I bought a set when they were about $200.

These Depo lights might be more expensive than some other options, but it seems like it's pretty easy to do a projector and HID retrofit. If I needed new headlights I'd go this route. @B Point if you are going to get these, I'd send them a message to see if they would sell for less without the bulbs and connectors. I don't think you'd need them.

These are the same (i think) but cheaper if you buy them ahead of your departure from Japan :D:

Translator isn't working for me, but it looks like they have the little "E" circle designating them E-Code. E-Code or DOT is acceptable for inspection over here.

These are the same (i think) but cheaper if you buy them ahead of your departure from Japan :D:

Translator isn't working for me, but it looks like they have the little "E" circle designating them E-Code. E-Code or DOT is acceptable for inspection over here.

Oh bloody hell....I'm such an idiot. When I bought the truck 6 years ago it came with Depo headlights and I immediately changed them out for the OEM units because I was going to Hokkaido for the winter and the HID's wouldn't get warm enough to keep the ice off the lenses....SO.... just checked down the basement and voila...big DEPO box with the headlights and corner lights. Both have the E4 dot and truck is already HID retrofitted.... My wife told me this is a "sign"... I agree. Let me know if these are the right dot or not.

Thank you MonsterCruiser....it was your post to the yahoo pages that jogged my memory. I did a further search for sources here in Japan for depos and it sure has dried up. There are a lot of other cheap look a likes but I can't see if any of them have the dot.

Will they? Its RHD isnt it, so the reflectors are all angled "wrong" and you would need LHD ones.
Good point Enigma. I have no idea. Any one else have insight on this?

Type that part number into the DEPO website, see if it indicates RHD or LHD.

Type that part number into the DEPO website, see if it indicates RHD or LHD.
I took a closer look at the housings and it clearly states LHD...I should be ok I'd think.

IMG_3897.JPG

Will they? Its RHD isnt it, so the reflectors are all angled "wrong" and you would need LHD ones.

Unless they have changed the wording, the inspection manual does not state anything about the reflector beam angle. It just states "DOT" or "E-Code" markings. Looks like @B Point has the correct angle though.

Required inspection or at home testing/inspection? That said, the level of scrutiny for the inspection can vary a lot from one inspector to the next regardless of the regulations. Just look at all the vehicles for sale at Velocity...

If it says LHD then I think you can live with that. Certainly if an inspector questions your integrity about it
keep the pic handy and you can honestly say you did your due diligence, and move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom