Door mount tire carrier (Becky and JW off-road (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question for those of you have a door mounted tire carrier like the Becky from acc garage, jw off-road, or bison gear.

Does it make a ton of noise?

Just got the Becky installed this week - I love this carrier and the look - but there’s this concerning (and somewhat annoying) metal fatigue / metal on metal creaking and groaning any time I go around a turn or hit some bumps in the road.

The tire is firmly mounted to the carrier - no wobble. The carrier is firmly mounted to the door. It sounds like it’s either flexing badly against the strike plate, or the door rubbing badly against the latches where it locks.

Nothing is in the back of the car. So it’s not stuff moving around.

Sound was constant and concerning enough that my gf and I opted to, sadly, leave the truck at home before our trip to the blue ridge mountains this week.

Anyone experienced this? Anything I can check before reaching out to ACC?

Don't own one but if the door are not properly aligned it would make that squeak. Is there a gap between the bottom support to the door? I think there is also a plastic/UHMW slide that attach below the door.

JW and Bison off road sell hinge shim kit help if the door sags.

Do you have this? This also helps with squeak.
Bofn Racing Tailgate Latch Bumper Stop, Bumper Striker Cushion Compatible with Toyota FJ Cruiser 2007-2021, Prado 120 150 Lexus GX460 GX470 2003-2021, RAV4 2006-2012 https://a.co/d/gfbVpSp

I have never had this issue with my JW that’s been on for 2+ years now. I’ve heard of people with squeak and metal on metal sound issues. Sounds like it’s maybe not making enough contact with the support plate, allowing it a little wiggle room, but I’m just guessing. The way my door support is setup there is a noticeable bit of interference closing the door so I know it’s mating together well and is supported.

Other thought is your hinges are worn more than most others and it’s allowing more play with the tire on there.

I added a shim to the bottom hinge with my JW kit probably 8 months ago and it helped bring the door back up a few mm into perfect alignment.

I had a squeak with my JW tire carrier. After round and round of searching, it came down to the latch needing grease. I just got some lithium grease in a tube and spread it in the latch and the catch with my finger. Squeak is now gone and has been for close to a year.

Thanks so much y’all for the input and suggestions! Got some options to try when I get back from vacation.

It does seem to make solid contact with the strike pad that ACC installed, and I do get some good friction when shutting the door.

I’ll look into the shim kits. I don’t think acc offers that for the Becky, but I don’t see any harm in grabbing a kit from JW or bison if it could help.

Lithium grease is a great option and easy to test as I have a spray can of it at home.

Will test things out, follow up with acc, and report back here.

Appreciate the help!

I have the JW version and very happy with it. No sounds either! Thankfully!
Hopefully you find the culprit and fix it! Post back once you do?

Thanks so much y’all for the input and suggestions! Got some options to try when I get back from vacation.

It does seem to make solid contact with the strike pad that ACC installed, and I do get some good friction when shutting the door.

I’ll look into the shim kits. I don’t think acc offers that for the Becky, but I don’t see any harm in grabbing a kit from JW or bison if it could help.

Lithium grease is a great option and easy to test as I have a spray can of it at home.

Will test things out, follow up with acc, and report back here.

Appreciate the help!
I have a Gobi ladder to carry two 3-gal rotopax fuel ⛽️ containers and I added the Bison Gear shims (ordered with a large order for me and a friend, so no added shipping).

The shims really help re-align the barn door so it’s level with the locking catch that’s on the driver side.

Figured it out!! There’s a metal bracket attached to the spare tire crank under the truck, and the brace that ACC installs was rubbing against it. This led to the awful metal on metal sound.

I removed this piece of metal - held on by 2 bolts - and a test drive around the neighborhood’s speed bumps and turns was silent (except for my usual squeaks from shot KDSS bushings that will be replaced this weekend).

Now, where I’m curious, does this rubbing imply the tire support bracket may not be tightened properly? My guess is no, and that it’s just a little normal flex and limited clearance between those 2 pieces.

The curved piece on the right is what was removed.
ECD1FB6E-BCD0-4FA9-8FBE-229932E0C881.jpeg

What's the purpose of the curved metal bracket you removed? If not important, then just leave it off. Otherwise improve the clearance so they are not so close to each other.

What's the purpose of the curved metal bracket you removed? If not important, then just leave it off. Otherwise improve the clearance so they are not so close to each other.
that is the cover and channel for the spare tire winch.

Thanks, @GXO!

I don’t think it’s problematic to remove. Just two small bolts held it to the winch. Connected with ACC. As long as the strike plate has solid contact with the truck and the door rises when it makes contact on close, then I’m good. Figure it was just some flex when the truck hit bumps that made the two parts touch.

Loving the Becky, and I got more ACC swag when picking up the truck.

Thanks, @GXO!

I don’t think it’s problematic to remove. Just two small bolts held it to the winch. Connected with ACC. As long as the strike plate has solid contact with the truck and the door rises when it makes contact on close, then I’m good. Figure it was just some flex when the truck hit bumps that made the two parts touch.

Loving the Becky, and I got more ACC swag when picking up the truck.
It is also advisable to get that latch pad mentioned above as well as some kaon spacers regardless of the flavor. I am doing those on her truck because a 37 is heavy AF haha

Yeah, those 37s are monsters! Y’all have some badass rigs.

Ordered the latch pad on Amazon. I’m waffling between bison gear and kaon for the shims - both have tables and other pieces I like. Will get those soon. Figure with my 265 / 75 / 17s, it shouldn’t be too much strain on the door for now.

Figured it out!! There’s a metal bracket attached to the spare tire crank under the truck, and the brace that ACC installs was rubbing against it. This led to the awful metal on metal sound.

I removed this piece of metal - held on by 2 bolts - and a test drive around the neighborhood’s speed bumps and turns was silent (except for my usual squeaks from shot KDSS bushings that will be replaced this weekend).

Now, where I’m curious, does this rubbing imply the tire support bracket may not be tightened properly? My guess is no, and that it’s just a little normal flex and limited clearance between those 2 pieces.

The curved piece on the right is what was removed.
View attachment 3084102
I had the exact same problem and you helped me fix it! Thank you!

Hey All!

What do you guys think about 35s on a JW tire carrier with Fuel Cycle wheels? One wheel and tire weights about 100lbs. Concerned about the weight on the back of the door! Let me know.

Hey All!

What do you guys think about 35s on a JW tire carrier with Fuel Cycle wheels? One wheel and tire weights about 100lbs. Concerned about the weight on the back of the door! Let me know.
No issues for me. Well over 100lbs with 35’s propane tank and trash bag. Just don’t let the door swing open.
74B28A69-D62E-4B47-8D3A-AA291C96BC96.jpeg

No issues for me. Well over 100lbs with 35’s propane tank and trash bag. Just don’t let the door swing open.
View attachment 3255778
Thanks man! Do you have any door shims to help with the weight at all? Kind of like these!

Thanks man! Do you have any door shims to help with the weight at all? Kind of like these!

Yes, I did install one of the JW shims because they were cheap. But my door wasn't sagging before the shim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom