Door locks for HJ47--same as FJ40 or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 1982 HJ47 that has no functioning door lock (been told they don't turn and it's not just a question of WD40--don't know how hard they tried. "They" are the guys who are storing it until I can come and pick it up. As I've been looking around on all sorts of sites (ebay, CCOT, Specter, etc.), I keep getting conflicting info and it's getting really frustrating to not get any solid answers (including from sales people at those sites).
There appear to be two different types of door lock cylinders for the same years. One door lock has the catch coming out at a 90 degree angle from the cylinder itself--one simple piece of metal with a hole in it:
NEW IGNITION BARREL + 2 DOOR LOCKS SUIT TOYOTA LANDCRUISER FJ40 FJ45 FJ55 HJ47

The other type is a little more elaborate with the metal bent in two different directions after the initial part:

Ignition Cylinder Lock Set for '75 and Later Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40

Disregard if the years these say are for different times. These same designs are shown overall at different sites for the same years; some say for FJ40 and 45; others say ANY 40 series. I found one site that was specific to the HJ47 that showed the metal catch bent in the same directions as the second image.

Obviously, if I had the truck in front of me, I could take a door lock out and look at it. The guys storing it are so busy they couldn't find the time to take one off if someone else's life depended on it.

Thanks for your help. Very frustrating.

The doors on my 45 were exactly the same as the same year of 40. If you've got a vin, you could order them through Toyota.

The doors on my 45 were exactly the same as the same year of 40. If you've got a vin, you could order them through Toyota.
Thanks, Bikersmurf. I do have a VIN. I'll look into that. I suspect they'll be pretty expensive from Toyota but will see.

When I last bought locks for my 74, they were $17 & $16 from Toyota... but that was a long time ago. They were 3X more expensive from the locksmiths.

The ones you found on eBay are junk. They will not work and you can not return them. I know because I bought them. Buy them from a Toyota source and you will be fine.

The ones you found on eBay are junk. They will not work and you can not return them. I know because I bought them. Buy them from a Toyota source and you will be fine.
Thanks for the advice. There is one Toyota supplier on ebay (Australia--roadkill) but prices are pretty high plus shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom