Door light switch fix - FREE! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HDJdreams

SILVER Star
Threads
My 97 had a problem with the courtesy light coming on during left turns or whenever the passenger leaned against the front right door.

I thought the switch at the door had went bad again (replaced 5 years ago, other 3 original and working fine.) So I ordered a new one.

D343212B-18E6-4987-82EA-6BA7BBC3F30B.jpeg

Last edited:
I pulled the switch off, it still looked new and seemed to function fine.

3912F9F3-2CA8-47E9-A1D6-FF520D003984.jpeg

But the lights still came on with a little pressure against the door. So I shimmed it.

I just grabbed a plastic lid and trimmed it to fit with scissors and a hole punch.

C41FF843-B951-47D6-8073-24C29091DDD4.jpeg

30182E52-A29F-499E-803C-1D16CF96C273.jpeg

Put it together, that was all it took to do the trick. Can push hard against shut door, no light!

183587DC-5A9D-4C33-9DCC-E468FF48570B.jpeg

I could have trimmed a hair more off the edge, but no one will notice unless they are really looking for it. (If looking from top or side)

0F3516A8-9A3D-4F9C-B083-47CA92FED7E5.jpeg

FEF0B6E1-358A-4100-9C5D-DDF36370DB58.jpeg

I did a similar "shim", but just using a washer. Totally solved my light-turning-on problem, just like yours. :)

I did a similar "shim", but just using a washer. Totally solved my light-turning-on problem, just like yours. :)

My first thought was to use a plastic washer, but local hardware stores were closed.

The door latching post may just need to be moved/adjusted inboard so that the door closes tighter.
This is exactly how I fixed mine, works like a charm.

The door latching post may just need to be moved/adjusted inboard so that the door closes tighter.

I looked at doing that, but the front door lined up with the rear door. Hence the shim.

I had the same problem and after shimming and tape on the door I found it was the latch on the door frame that was loose, now it works fine!

Great job! A quick spray of some flat black paint and the shim would be nearly invisible. Thanks for the write up!

I just used a normal steel washer.

That no doubt works. At the time I thought wanted to use plastic to not chew up the paint. I am sure it’s a nonissue.

The other thought behind shim instead of washer was to support around the plunger. I was worried about bending/flexing or cracking. That was my logic, again most likely a nonissue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom