Does this concern anyone…block surface

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mud friends- I am in the middle of a HG job and have come across something that I would like feedback on. It seems to be a minor imperfection on the block surface. I have included a photo in which this small area is circled. It is a "groove" (I call it that for lack of a better term) that just barely catches my fingernail when I rub across it with pressure. The hole that it is above is the furthest to the driver's side, cylinder 6 as seen in the 2nd photo. I have had two friends here look at it and neither think that it should be an issue. I am posting here to get the most educated opinions that are available regarding the 1FZ. I am hoping that my lack of experience with this is just making me paranoid. I have a new OEM gasket and head bolts to put everything back together with. Thanks for looking!
IMG_3847.PNG

IMG_3845.jpg

Half K-Thanks for looking at this! You're always a help!

What does the new HG look like in that area? I know they added some o-rings to the new models... what is in that area is what would determine my plan for action.

What does the new HG look like in that area? I know they added some o-rings to the new models... what is in that area is what would determine my plan for action.
I haven't examined the new gasket, but in the one that came off of it (which I believe had been replaced before) there was a separate o-ring that came out. Is that good or bad in your opinion?

A rubber o-ring will do a better job of sealing surface imperfections than the regular rubber-coated stainless of the HG material.. so I'd say it is good.

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think that particular hole is for oil return from the head/cams/valves down to the crank case. If so, that area of the gasket doesn't seal anything more than crankcase pressure/vacuum (as well as keeping water/dirt out), and basically isn't very critical.

If so, I wouldn't do anything to the block surface in that area. Just wire wheel it to clear off any corrosion and apply very light oil or something to help avoid corrosion there in the future.

And if you haven't done it yet, pull off that oil cooler assembly and clean in there. I'm in the process of doing mine now (290k) and am not happy with the amount of sludge/crust in there. I'm also changing the bypass valve spring as the one in there doesn't seem to have much tension.. though I'm not dealing with low oil pressure at all.

bloc-thank you for the detailed response. I appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom