Does anyone see any red flags?....lx purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got records from Lexus....very well maintained through out it's life no repeat fixes and very few things have gone wrong with the LX other than maint things. It has never missed a schedualled maint and most were done before the milaged needed all suggested maint was done when suggested by dealer. So no red flags there. Pics of rear are similar to front from what I can see...less actually. Can't post them right now but maybe later.

clarkrw3 said:
Got records from Lexus....very well maintained through out it's life no repeat fixes and very few things have gone wrong with the LX other than maint things. It has never missed a schedualled maint and most were done before the milaged needed all suggested maint was done when suggested by dealer. So no red flags there. Pics of rear are similar to front from what I can see...less actually. Can't post them right now but maybe later.

If that's the case, then the decision is up to you about whether or not you think its worth it. Of course, you already knew that. ;p

service records

acolella said:
The best thing you can do is find out where it was serviced and get copies of all the service records. All of the truths will show there.
I was lucky enough to have access of all the records before my purchase FZJ80 95'.

The only negative thing I saw on my service records was that at 65K miles the starter contacts went, and would not stop cranking over. Toyota stated they could not get the problem to reoccur at the first vist, but got it to recocur the second visit one week later. If this happens to you, which it might, tell them to just change the contacts. On the other hand you may already know this because this is a normal occurance among FZJ80 and apologise in advance.

clarkrw3 said:
Also it has a Lexus battery in it which is rare, and to me indicates that it has been dealer serviced...who actually goes to the dealer for possible the 3 battery in the vehicles life?

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can even buy a Lexus battery from the dealer. This leads me to think that it's the original. My original Lexus bat lasted 6 years before I chickened out and bought a new Napa battery.

Looks like a super clean truck but a little overpriced. The rust underneeth would be considered normal for any car/truck over 5-6 years old in the mid-west, I wouldn't sweat it too much. BUT be prepared for some possible replacement parts due to rust, brake parts especially as others pointed out. My T-100 that sits outside and is my DD durring the Chicago winters needed the rotors and calipers changed twice in 60k miles, about 4 years.

I wish we in the mis-west and East didn't have to deal with the salt and rust but those are the cards we're delt LOL. I guess you just get used to it. Bob

TX_TLC said:
Other than the engine bay has been steamed cleaned to possibly hide any leaks?

Have you checked it out/had it checked out?

Looks very clean...way to throw the house in the background to make you think one of two things....

1) They have money and fixed anything that went wrong at the first sign of trouble....

or, and one that as a buyer I feel you must lean toward...

2) They have money and drove it with no regard to maintence. "What is that funny noise??? OK fine we will install a bigger stereo and DVD so you don't notice it."

Just my $.02 in your shoes as a health skeptical buyer. :)

I'm pretty sure I've seen that house in the background of eBay ads many times before. Maybe that's where the dealer takes his pictures!

the house is actually the dealers house....not his only job.

I actually puchased it today....so I should have it in a couple of weeks!!! So you will either see several look at how the build up is going threads or crap....help me with all these problems and rust threads.
Both ways I will have something to work on here soon, and I can't wait!! I have been looking for a 80 for years...on and off serious...and very serious for the past 5-6mo. So it is nice to finally have a rig to start baselineing and modding.

Looks nice, it appears to have been undercoated to hide some rust, but that's fine, in AZ nothing will rust anyway (like here in CO), so any rust that's there will not continue, so I wouldn't worry about that at all. Price seems high to me, but that's amazingly low miles...ofcourse there are things that age with years and not miles, so those items might still be suspect (radiator hoses, belts, etc, many of those things don't care how many miles are on a vehicle, it's just how long as it been exposed)...but looks sharp...buy it! :D

A lot of ppl here scoff at low-mileage, super-clean 80s sold for extra $ simply because an 80, if well-maintained, will probably make it well past 250K anyway. But there is definitely value in a low-mileage, well-maintained vehicle. Looks like a very clean rig, low miles, and even full service records. You can't beat that. Don't listen to the jaded ones who claim they can find "a nice 80 for $9k"- what's nice to them may not be nice to you. There is definitely something to be said for a low-mileage, super-clean 80 with service records, and that is this: it's as close to a new 80 as you can get in 2005! Buy it!

Last edited:
Well, congrats on the purchase. Haveing the service records probably helped ease a lot of your concern.

Yes.... however, I still will not be happy till I get it here and can look it over in person and drive the thing. This guy has 100% positive feed back with 280+ car sales. So he must be disclosing pretty well because it's pretty hard to please all the people all the time you know.

Thanks everyone for all your input.....I really appriciate it even if it looks like I might not have listened to any of it I did :cheers:

Texus said:
That rust aint no thing... it's surface stuff... those frames are engineered & built to last atleast 25 years (approx)... It's really disturbing that everyone (mainly) on here seems that if it too clean... there is a problem... not really on an LX... the majority pf Lexus buyers don't even consider leaving the pavement... that's no their draw really... it's most likely a garaged truck... I have had 20+ y.o. cars with 150K plus on em that looked better than most 5 y.o cars...the rust on the knuckle is surface stuff... that black stuff isn't grease, it's black paint from the knuckle... i.e. meaning limited use most likely, hence the mielage... & the surface rust on there as well (sitting)...the price... forget what all those on here say... what is it worth to you & are you comforatble paying such a price?? & hell that thing could still be under some ext. warranty... mine was (97 LX) until this month... I know most on here will balk @ all this... but there is TOO much pessimism most of the time... s***, that things cleaner looking than mine was & I had similar miles last year & no REAL problems... well, IMO if you checked the history @ the Dealer, carfax, driven it, seen records if any... and all that be good... what's the hang up?? If it feels good to you after your research, than do it... if it needs birfs after 63K... it's a pussy reject runt of the litter... some never get them done & last forever...but if you don;t mind doing it... than all good & have at it...it's a fun & self-rewarding job... good luck!

You have obviously never been burned on a vehicle purchase...heard of lemons? :rolleyes: This is your opinion..cool...so is everyone elses...it doesn't make one better or more right than the other.

There is a reason I used the term HEALTHY skepticism. It was also stated that he is across the country from it and can't see it, or drive it and the pictures is all he has...enough.

Glad you got your rig...hope it is everything you want it to be for you.

What was it P.T. Barnum said?? Just hope it isn't you. :)

Thanks alot!! Yes, I hope everything is as advertised. Can't wait!!!

Congrats, hope you enjoy your rig. Nice looking rig from the outside and inside engine compartment, I wonder what it looks like behind the dashboard and behind the instrument panel. Have fun!

I think from the pics you posted you got a very nice truck. Just about any rig 97 or older is bound to have a little rust somewhere under it. Nice score. Engine looks really clean too. Even steam cleaning can't hide all evidence of leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom