Dobinson Snorkel Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

izzyandsue

Izzy
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tactegra.com
There are a few snorkel installation threads, and I will reference the once I found plus relevant videos. But wanted to create this with pictures and measurements for anyone interested. Some of the older threads have no photos but the information is still good. So reference:

eBay Snorkel install

Ironman snorkel install

Installed OEM Snorkel

Safari Snorkel with TEQ badging

Video 1 and Video 2

This is for a Dobinson snorkel, but if you have an Ebay one withe mold stamp letters "T80" on the back, they are the same.
First, I recommend you remove the air filter box, 3 - 12mm hex bolts and disconnect the intake hose so you have room to maneuver. Then remove the one screw on the top of the turn signal, and pull out the turn signal. You can disconnect it or leave it there resting on the bumper.
upload_2018-12-26_16-9-48.png

Then remove the bolts that hold the air intake tube that is inside the fender. Note that there will be 3, one in the forward section, 2 on the rear. This below is the forward section.

upload_2018-12-26_16-12-30.png

Next remove the bolts holding the cruise control module and the heat sink, to gain access to the rear air box bolts and for future access to the snorkel nuts.
Orange are the cruise control module bolts removed, green the nuts for the rear air hose. Remove both air parts from inside the fender. I found pulling them from the air cleaner box hole to be the easiest.
upload_2018-12-26_16-16-13.png

Now for the big decision, drilling the big hole. The template that comes with this kit will not work for an US market 80, don't toss it, but don't follow the instructions either as they are not for our market and there is no way to anchor or identify how the template goes. But you can add some masking tape on the fender in the general area opposite to the air filter box hole. Use plenty of tape.

So measure, find the crease on the fender, lay down a measuring tape on it and keep it on the crease.
upload_2018-12-26_16-21-13.png

When the tape hits 30.5 inches, use a marker and make a mark. Then use the marker to follow the line of the crease, mark the crease on the tape.
upload_2018-12-26_16-25-23.png

Now measure 3/8 inch down from the crease line, and vertically aligned with the 30.5" previous mark. This is the location of the center of the large hole. Now you can do a pilot hole in that location as shown in the photo above. Like any DIY instruction here, you make the decisions to use them or not, this is what worked for me on my 1997 FZJ80.

Go ahead and cut the hole, and afterwards insert the snorkel for fit and how it would attach to the A pillar. Follow the videos now, they show you how to use the template and transplant it to the fender so that the holes will line up. As they recommend, make sure the template holes will match your snorkel. For the Dobinson, they do for all but 2 that need adjusting.

Last edited:
With the template on, drill the holes. I recommend going to 1/2 inch holes with a stepped drill bit. Using this size gave me the freedom to position and move the snorkel around enough.

upload_2018-12-26_16-37-9.png

Now is the time to clean and deburr the holes, then add a bit of paint to protect the raw metal

upload_2018-12-26_16-38-24.png

Now to set the A pillar bracket with the rivets. Again, follow the video instructions, fairly simple with 2 sided tape. I mounted the bracket to the snorkel, then positioned it until it was level and the windshield frame location made sense, looked right. I used a sharpie to mark the location and the holes as a precaution to the 2 sided tape trick.
upload_2018-12-26_16-40-30.png

Then drill the holes for the rivets, do one at a time and double check position. Finally install the bracket with a rivet gun.
upload_2018-12-26_16-42-29.png

The next steps are the "bolting" steps. As one of the videos recommended, I used some silicone sealant in the studs side as well as on the washers to help hold them in place, and to seal any moisture out. There is only one nut that is impossible to get to, at least with my hands/arms. that is the top rearmost nut. Not sure how anyone can get there, so I had to leave that one out. Make sure everything is aligned before tightening the capture nuts, and the bolts on the A pillar. Secure the cap on the top with the black pipe clamp.

Last edited:
Finally you have to connect it all together, so put your cruise control box back in, and bolt on the heat sink if you had to remove it to access the snorkel rear bolts.
To connect the snorkel to the air filter box, you have a piece of rubber hose that comes in the kit. This was too small, and it actually sheared like this:
upload_2018-12-26_16-49-48.png

So I got a 3.25" 3 ply 45 degree silicone coupler hose, (about $8) to do the connection and it was easy to do, fits like a glove. I recommend adding a small dab of vaseline or your favorite lubricant to the hose part that goes into the snorkel. Makes it easy to insert and then position as needed. Don't forget to add the hose clamp and you can access the clamp screw via the turn signal hole. But do not tighten it yet.
upload_2018-12-26_16-52-29.png

Position the air filter box and make sure you have a good connection, may need to move the coupler around a little and line it up, bolt down the air cleaner back in. Then screw and secure the hose clamps, reset your turn signal and the screw on the top, and you are done.

upload_2018-12-26_16-53-56.png

I want to thank the guys who did the videos, great stuff. This thread hopefully helps with the basic dimensions so you don't have to do the math.

upload_2018-12-26_16-46-59.png

Wonderful stuff!

Good aid as I will be taking this on soon

Looks good. Been sitting on a snorkel for years I need to install.

Used this measurement yesterday. Thank you for taking the guesswork out! I couldn't reach either of the rear bolts. I finally gave up after scratching my arm in about 15 spots. I had no issues with the connector hose.

Btw I did a 4" hole for those following. Plenty of coverage and allowed me to position it perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom