Do i need alignment after adjustable front panhard? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i recently added Icon stage one to my ‘97 lx, along with MAF 1” spacers in the front, new oem bushings and MT caster plates, extended brake lines, sway bar drop brackets and all new sway bar bushings. I drove it a couple days to let the suspension settle then had new 315’s installed and alignment done. I’ve now decided to add an adjustable panhard to the front to give myself more clearance between the coil and the bump stops in the front. My question is will I need to get the alignment rechecked after adjusting the new panhard? By the way the wait time on the Icon stage one was well worth it...I couldn’t be happier with the ride quality and stance for a daily driver/weekend warrior truck!
8369E668-35DB-4982-A0FA-5D62F8825505.jpeg
2DF9A6B5-4F4C-4B9D-B0CB-98AD7B60188F.jpeg

Last edited:
The panhard only controls the movement of the whole axle assembly in the side-to-side direction. An alignment shop wouldn't typically be the place that makes that adjustment since it isn't adjustable on a vehicle normally.
In order to adjust it you would have to find the center of the frame and the center of the axle and adjust the panhard until they line up while sitting. It shouldn't be too hard to do, just tedious to get it dialed in since it will take a few attempts.

...and then just re-center your steering wheel after you center your axle.

That makes sense...I forgot about needing to recenter the wheel. I plan to do the panhard install/adjustment myself...was just curious if a new alignment was recommended afterwards...I would hate to mess up a new set of rubber! Thank y’all

That makes sense...I forgot about needing to recenter the wheel. I plan to do the panhard install/adjustment myself...was just curious if a new alignment was recommended afterwards...I would hate to mess up a new set of rubber! Thank y’all
Should not be necessary.

:cheers:

Short answer is no. What you need to adjust is the front steering rod to re-centre the steering wheel. The panhard rod itself does not alter the toe-in/out, camber or caster settings in any way.

But ensure that the replacement panhard rods are adjusted front and rear as required. If you don't have a perfectly flat level surface it's difficult to get the chassis/body to axle centering accurate. When I lifted my 80 and fitted adjustable panhards it took a few goes to get it close enough as I had to try and guess how much to compensate for the un-level surface I was working on.

The first time I did this I also didn't understand what the front and rear steering rods did so I 'adjusted' the steering wheel by removing it and re-positioning it on the splined shaft. That works, but it's not the right way. I know that now. ;)

Great info I will be using that to the next few days thank you

Thank you Sunrk! I already had it in my mind to just pull the steering wheel to recenter...but now I know the proper way to do it...mud to the rescue once again! Cheers all

The alignment shop can give you readouts on lots of geometry on your rig, but the only ADJUSTMENT they can usually do is Toe In. If it drives OK then be happy and drive on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom