Do i need a DC drive shaft?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tdtp.org
I'm about to replace my diff gasket agin for the second time in just a few months. I have noticed that it seems to rip and then start to leak. Both times have been after a wheeling trip. First was big bear and last time was in Moab.

I'm running an OME J lift on 37"s.

I'm wondering if its getting tweaked or something when I'm wheeling and ripping the gasket? Or if im just not tightening the nuts enough on the diff. Would love input, I don't want to replace this gasket again any time soon.

Why would your drive shaft cause your diff housing to leak?

Edit, front or rear? I'm assuming rear.

Why would your drive shaft cause your diff housing to leak?

Just wondering if its putting weird stress on the housing because maybe its too short? Like I said, both times it looked like the gasket was ripped.

Just wondering if its putting weird stress on the housing because maybe its too short? Like I said, both times it looked like the gasket was ripped.

Personally i don't use gaskets on the diff housings. I think that over time the mating surfaces don't stay perfectly flat. I have never had a diff housing leak with FIPG or RTV. Just make sure to clean up the excess around the bottom before it dries so it doesn't tear on rocks.

Check to make sure all your studs are tight also. Hopefully you don't have a crack in that area.

The drive shaft will not put stress on it, so a DC shaft wont help.

Personally i don't use gaskets on the diff housings. I think that over time the mating surfaces don't stay perfectly flat. I have never had a diff housing leak with FIPG or RTV. Just make sure to clean up the excess around the bottom before it dries so it doesn't tear on rocks.

Check to make sure all your studs are tight also. Hopefully you don't have a crack in that area.

The drive shaft will not put stress on it, so a DC shaft wont help.

Solid. That's the info I was looking for! Looks like I need to pick up a tube of RTV in the morning. Thanks!

Solid. That's the info I was looking for! Looks like I need to pick up a tube of RTV in the morning. Thanks!

Grab a can of brake cleaner to clean the area prior to putting the RTV on. Don't go too heavy with it. Just a thin layer or you will have alot of squeeze out inside and out.

I had a tweaked out of balance front driveshaft cause vibration that eventually loosened the nuts on the diff housing, causing it to leak. Got the shaft fixed and smooth as butter,no leaks. At the same time the shop measured the angles and said a DC shaft wasn't necessary. Rolling smooth ever since

Try torquing the diff nuts to spec. I'm pretty sure the FSM has a number to use. John

I used a light coating of RTV on both sides of my diff housing gaskets when I put in the 4.88's. I also replaced any questionable studs. No leaks after 30K.

As other have mentioned you should not need a DC driveshaft due to torn gaskets.

Good to go, I'll try this today and hope that it works.

I used a light coating of RTV on both sides of my diff housing gaskets when I put in the 4.88's. I also replaced any questionable studs. No leaks after 30K.

This is what I have seen Robbie do and this is what we did as well on my rig, CDan's and Mrs. CDans.

This is what I have seen Robbie do and this is what we did as well on my rig, CDan's and Mrs. CDans.

Went to do this and the gasket didn't fit.... So I am running only RTV. If it leaks again, I'm going back to an IFS vehicle...... NOT.

No it will be different.

They are easy to mess up--one wrong click and the wrong part gets ordered.

That's what I figured. No harm no foul. I'll make sure they are aware of the mistake though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom