DIY Wrap Steering Wheel

Hello everyone, first post on this site and first time owner of a 1995 FZJ80. I received my vehicle a few days ago from El Paso, which was originally purchased in Utah..at Karl Malone's (yes, The Mailman) Toyota Dealership which i found interesting. I was prepared to be disappointed based on research on this site that the steering wheel might not be in that good of shape. I am here to tell you that this site has really given me good solid info to become well prepared owner. Having said this, the moment i sat in the vehicle, the wheel I noticed immediately and I am not real happy with the pleather steering wrap currently on my wheel (too big and slippery). I was looking for other options that might imrpove looks and give me something I can easily handle on long trips, at least until I can come up with the funds to have the wheel re-wrapped professionally. One of the options that stick out were the numerous ways to wrap paracord around the wheel. I was thinking with my Nightshadow Pearl paint and Gray Interior, that a couple of paracords with similar colors might look pretty good. Anyone else done a paracord wrap or perhaps found something else that might be interesting. Looking fwd to your thoughts. Sharing a profile look at my new ride, cuz I am super happy to have it.

IMG_2234.jpg

Welcome to the madness, my two cents is be careful and avoid @NXLTACY (Wits End) at all costs. He is very good at tacking your hard earned money. :flipoff2: I'm just kidding, that is straight sarcasm. Joey is a great guy and has a lot of fixes for our rigs. Back to your paracord inquiry, I would say youtube and general researching will be your best bet. I had a paracord solution on my steering wheel until I noticed how dirty and deteriorated it became, so off it went. Again, welcome and drive the wheels off your 80!

Nice looking rig!

The factory leather wrap is pretty good and feels comfortable in your hands. Assuming the foam is still good on yours there is a guy here on MUD selling replacement leathers. It's doable for a DIY'er to install it's just time consuming.

Check Amazon for steering wheel wraps too, if you're on a budget or want something temporary. I put an Aully Park on my Tacoma, took time to stitch it on, but very happy with way it turned out.

Top Bottom