DIY Side Ladder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Objective:
Build or find a side ladder for the 100 series Land Cruiser.
1. Attaches to the roof rack.
2. Doesn’t attach to the frame or the rear bumper.

I know Gamiviti offers one and it’s a very slick solution for those with a steel rear bumper.

Gobi offers a rear ladder, BUT I’ve seen lots of reports of rubbing. AND it wears out those hatch lift shocks way quicker. My brother in law has one, so I have firsthand experience with it. I’ve also read many negative reports about Gobi getting litigious about anything rear ladder related.

Nash Fab Co makes a nice side ladder for the GX460.

Anyway, I need an attachment point in the driver’s side wheel well or through the driver’s side bumper.

If anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I’ll wing it and make something anyway. 🍻

Objective:
Build or find a side ladder for the 100 series Land Cruiser.
1. Attaches to the roof rack.
2. Doesn’t attach to the frame or the rear bumper.

I know Gamiviti offers one and it’s a very slick solution for those with a steel rear bumper.

Gobi offers a rear ladder, BUT I’ve seen lots of reports of rubbing. AND it wears out those hatch lift shocks way quicker. My brother in law has one, so I have firsthand experience with it. I’ve also read many negative reports about Gobi getting litigious about anything rear ladder related.

Nash Fab Co makes a nice side ladder for the GX460.

Anyway, I need an attachment point in the driver’s side wheel well or through the driver’s side bumper.

If anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I’ll wing it and make something anyway. 🍻
Maybe you would be better off with something simple like those step plates that hook into the door latch. Cheap, easy, and effective to get you up there.

The Gamaviti is nice. I have it, and the steel bumper it needs also. Knowing how it connects up, it seems like starting with the Gamiviti would narrow your problem set to just finding a way to attach it at the bottom. A bracket that pokes through the bumper cover in some way would likely work pretty well for you.

Here's the thing—after a bunch of trial and error with configuring things on my LX, I'm at a place where I don't use (and won't use) the ladder. The bottom bracket that attaches to a rear bumper is all bent to hell from trying to fit down things that were a bit touch and go. (She was skinnier when I met her, promise!)

If you want to give it a go, I'm happy to send it your way. Free ninety-nine, we'll just have to figure out how to get it there.

Thank you thank you thank you @saucebox. I drilled/cut holes in my bumper, fabricated a couple brackets, and welded them to the frame. Welded a little bracket to my roof rack for the hinge piece. Still need to weld one more reinforcement to the forward bracket, and tidy up and paint all the parts. gamiviti ladders are real nice @nakman.
Progress pic:
6D7C996D-50B9-4CF8-9C5F-B5B273A7F33A.jpeg
0A54B7D4-8B64-4F8D-A4DE-D3BAD5C33417.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you thank you thank you @saucebox. I drilled/cut holes in my bumper, fabricated a couple brackets, and welded them to the frame. Welded a little bracket to my roof rack for the hinge piece. Still need to weld one more reinforcement to the forward bracket, and tidy up and paint all the parts. @gamiviti ladders are real nice.
Progress pic:
View attachment 3244939View attachment 3244940

That was fast! Glad it worked out.

Sorry for reviving the dormant thread, but I'm interested in doing something similar.

@banjo1981, do you have any photos of the brackets from inside the bumper? Is it basically square tube that extends from the frame through the stock bumper?

Sorry for reviving the dormant thread, but I'm interested in doing something similar.

@banjo1981, do you have any photos of the brackets from inside the bumper? Is it basically square tube that extends from the frame through the stock bumper?
Here you go. It’s not pretty, but it’s strong enough for me. There are other ways to do this, like maybe do two pieces. One whole assembly behind the bumper with a plate then add a plate on the outside that bolts to the inside. I don’t know, but this is working well for me.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom