DIY paint suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

YMT

Threads
I'm am part way through a frame-off rebuild of my FJ80. I am contemplating different paint options, and would like to get thoughts from other who have experience. I am not looking for show-quality finish, however, I am wanting something durable.

I have used rattle-can on a previous car, and it turned out alright- it had orange peel because I got rushed to finish it (poor planning on my part), but was able to be sand and respray and it turned out well the second time.
I do not have a paint gun, but can buy one, however, since I've never used one, I don't know if the learning curve is too steep to try on a newly rebuilt rig.

I like the idea of Monstaliner, however, I don't like the textured finish, even those sprayed rather than roll on. Any tricks to give it a smooth finish, closer to factory paint?

Another option I've seen lately is Awlgrip. I've done some research and found it can be applied by hand (roll and tip method), and is extremely durable. Any one else have experience they can provide, especially with prep and techniques related to vehicles.

At this point, I'm leaning towards Awlgrip. But I'm open to experienced feedback.

If you can get reasonable results with a spray can, a spray gun will only improve things for you.

I see Awlgrip is a topside marine paint. Should be durable, but no experience otherwise. I'd expect it to be a thicker coating too.

A spray gun is an option for all coatings I'm considering. However, I have asmaller, 6 gallon air tank. I'd have to buy a paint gun (I wouldn't mind one, but not a huge priority, right now).

Anyone have firsthand experience with Awlgrip?
Or suggestions on a smooth bedliner?

Automotive paint is pretty durable. I don't like textured paint for the whole body. Maybe around the bottom and where you take off the flares, if you do.

I've though of using Hot Rod Flatz on my fj40.

1594329899607.png

A spray gun is an option for all coatings I'm considering. However, I have asmaller, 6 gallon air tank. I'd have to buy a paint gun (I wouldn't mind one, but not a huge priority, right now).

Anyone have firsthand experience with Awlgrip?
Or suggestions on a smooth bedliner?

Did you decide? I had good success with the cheapo Harbor Freight spray gun. I use one for primer, one for paint and one for clear. Makes clean up easier as I can put one in cleaner while I continue painting. I had a shop paint most of my car, but I painted the tailgate and half-doors. It was my first time painting, and I practiced on some cardboard first to get the spray pattern down. Watched a few Youtube videos too. It turned out ok. I did the doors first, and they weren't quite as good as the tailgate, as I was learning as I went. It has held up really well. I'm planning on painting my FJ62 this fall after I get some dents and other issues fixed.

My friend is a painter, and he recommended a base/clear vs a single stage. He said it is easier to shoot. One thing I recall is he said as you do the layers, make sure the next layer goes on before the prior layer fully dries to avoid orange peel, especially with the clear.

Last edited:
I haven't decided yet. Still in tear down of body and need to prep the frame for POR15.
I heard the same thing about spraying before dry on layers, but I still got orange peel when I applied the clear on a previous project.
I have a 6gal air compressor and tank setup. I still need to check if it's big enough to do a paint job with. I like the idea of getting two guns if I go that route.

I'm leaning towards Awlgrip still. Bed liner, while incredibly durable, doesn't seem to have a smooth enough finish for what I'm wanting to achieve.

I haven't decided yet. Still in tear down of body and need to prep the frame for POR15.
I heard the same thing about spraying before dry on layers, but I still got orange peel when I applied the clear on a previous project.
I have a 6gal air compressor and tank setup. I still need to check if it's big enough to do a paint job with. I like the idea of getting two guns if I go that route.

I'm leaning towards Awlgrip still. Bed liner, while incredibly durable, doesn't seem to have a smooth enough finish for what I'm wanting to achieve.

Yeah, I know the outside temp and other factors come into play with orange peel. With the clear cured, a wet sand took out my orange peel, which was minimal to begin with.

Edit: If you DIY, borrow or buy a bigger compressor. I have a 20 gallon, and it seemed about right.

Last edited:
I used a 9 dollar Harbor freight spray gun, Nason single stage paint on my '40 and was happy with the results. Had I known it would turn out so good ,I would have spent more Time on the prep. Not a show car by any stretch of the imagination but Ive got a lot of compliments on the paint job.
tehach..jpg

I used the Nason Ful-Thane on some parts, and I was blown away at how good it looked.
I am a complete beginner at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom