DIY oil change questions (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What I want to know is how to get the filter off the thread and out of the hole in the skid plate without dumping oil everywhere! I just finished an oil change a couple of days ago, and I am better at this than when I started, but it still makes a mess! BTW, to lube the drive line etc, you have to drop the whole "skid" plate in front. Since the PO ruined the bolts in the drain access plate, I get to do this each time!

What I want to know is how to get the filter off the thread and out of the hole in the skid plate without dumping oil everywhere!

Very slowly! I had oil everywhere the first time. Figured I would twist really fast and catch most of it before it got too bad.....Now I twist until it slowly starts to run down the filter and right into the pan on the floor. That little metal tab catches and diverts the oil. About this time grab the beverage of choice and enjoy 1/2. Then go give it another twist. Finish the beverage then go finish the job.:cheers:

Very slowly! I had oil everywhere the first time. Figured I would twist really fast and catch most of it before it got too bad.....Now I twist until it slowly starts to run down the filter and right into the pan on the floor. That little metal tab catches and diverts the oil. About this time grab the beverage of choice and enjoy 1/2. Then go give it another twist. Finish the beverage then go finish the job.:cheers:

Aha! I have been trying the quicker is better approach.

let's not forget that some here may end up dragging their bellies over rocks someday. You don't want things to protrude too much I would think, even with skids...

My thought exactly, the plastic belly pan is not a skid plate. As far as I can see all it does is keep debris out and maybe help with smoothing the airflow under the rig. It offers NO protection.

I could see one of those valves snapping off and leaving you in a world of hurt someplace.

My thought exactly, the plastic belly pan is not a skid plate. As far as I can see all it does is keep debris out and maybe help with smoothing the airflow under the rig. It offers NO protection.

I agree it's not a skid plate.

It keeps ice and snow from packing up in the "working bits" up front as well as providing a crumple zone to warn you that you are scraping.

Will it protect the truck from protruding rocks and logs? No. From a small sand/mud/snow ridge that would otherwise bend something. Probably.

I agree it's not a skid plate.

It keeps ice and snow from packing up in the "working bits" up front as well as providing a crumple zone to warn you that you are scraping.

Will it protect the truck from protruding rocks and logs? No. From a small sand/mud/snow ridge that would otherwise bend something. Probably.
I'd call that a maybe, especially if the rig is older like mine. Mine is so brittle I lose part of it every time I drop it to work on the rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom