DIY Oil change question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I measured starting at the metal portion of the dipstick, not up to the O ring. That’s how I see the previous dipstick pictured as well.
Length of metal dipstick ~27.25”
Length to low level ~26.75”
It’s probably 1/16” greater than that but for the ease of decimals let’s go on the quarter.
574128D1-E68D-4502-8993-503BDC3EA2C4.jpeg

I think you are all over-thinking this...

Sounds to me like the OP drained the oil via the filter housing ONLY, and NOT via the oil pan drain plug. That means there was some oil (a couple quarts?) still in the sump of the oil pan that never got drained.

Oil needs to be drained from here:
View attachment 2124126

As well as the filter housing here:
View attachment 2124127

Pics taken from this thread:

OP would be waiting a very long time for anything more than the filter housing’s ~.5-.75qt of volume to come out that way.

I was thinking the same thing, but there might be some siphon action going on?

The only part of the oil filter/supply circuit submerged in the sump to act as a source would be the pickup tube. Any siphoning would then have to deal with the significant obstructions to flow presented by the stationary oil pump.

Even then the top of the filter housing would have to be lower than the highest level of oil in the sump.

Basically, OP drained and filled it correctly and is likely dealing with a measuring stick or some other strange issue.

The only part of the oil filter/supply circuit submerged in the sump to act as a source would be the pickup tube. Any siphoning would then have to deal with the significant obstructions to flow presented by the stationary oil pump.

Even then the top of the filter housing would have to be lower than the highest level of oil in the sump.

Basically, OP drained and filled it correctly and is likely dealing with a measuring stick or some other strange issue.

Not according to the OP...

I probably should have did some more research before I just assumed all the oil would come out the the drain plug of the filter housing. Damn I feel dumb. Been changing oil in my vehicles for years and I shouldn’t have made a rookie mistake.
Thanks for your help!

Still curious though on the difference between the two dipsticks.

Sounds like problem solved to me.:meh:

Thanks bryson, problem solved. Went ahead and just drained everything including the filter assembly. Fortunately I didn’t drive it any considerable distance, only about a mile or two. Nothing like flushing out $50 of brand new Mobil1, but I didn’t want to have the old mixed with the new. I’m guessing about 10 quarts came out. Put back in 7.4 and I’m good to go now.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Wow. I figured that response was tongue in cheek.

I assumed 7qts extra would show much higher, but I guess the dip stick level could go up much more slowly as the oil level raises to the point the pan widens out into the lower engine block.

Either way.. I seriously doubt much oil can siphon out of the filter housing. I’ll try it at my next change.

Kudos to the OP for the clarification on the cause. Too bad the new oil got contaminated by the old, still cheaper than a hurt motor. Over in the Tacoma world they have guys draining their transmissions thinking it is the oil pan drain so it could be worse. Mudd to the rescue once again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom