DIY Liftgate LED install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had reached out to a fellow member about purchasing some parts; however, I never heard back from him and then decided to yolo and try to DIY. I hesitated posting this because I don’t want to take away from anyone’s business, but I also think others might want to save a few bones or mount lights in other places.

- I have an LX with power liftgate, so the light goes on whenever the liftgate opens. The rig automatically cuts off power to this circuit after 20 minutes, and you have to close/open the hatch to re-enable it.

The Amazons has 4 lights for $40...
Lights

Single Light

- you can add one of these to override the power.
switch

1) Open the small access panel on the hatch
2) I was able to squeeze my hand into the hold and disconnect the harness from the back of the factory "Close Hatch" button
3) mount your light and route wiring to the little hole
4) I simply shoved the light wires into the thick red and black wires on the harness, and then used some electrical tape to secure the LED wire to the OE harness.

Those wires automatically power on when the liftgate is open (off when closed).

7CCC1366-0342-4B79-BB8E-C17648442B21.jpeg

4B8DAEEF-840E-4206-B356-C8CE5161E8E8.jpeg

2ADF98CC-91D8-4F2B-96AE-CC087FAE09E9.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice! Is your 200 a power liftgate model? I believe the automatic turn on wiring is only possible on those, but if not, I would be very interested in doing it myself too.

Looks good. A few questions...

Why didnt you attach it to the small panel?
Does the light go on whenever the hatch is opened? Is there an on off switch on the light?
What did you have to do to get to the door switch connector? What did you have to remove and how did you do it?

Thx.

Sorry for the lack of normal DIY details. I had assumed everyone was familiar with this mod from heat on the other thread.

- I plan to install a rear exit button at the small panel.

- I have an LX with power liftgate, so the light goes on whenever the liftgate opens.
- you can add one of these to override the power.
Amazon link

- I'm 6'2" and managed to get my hand into the small panel opening to disconnect the exit connector. Once I attached the led, I reached back in and pushed the connector back in place again.

Last edited:
On my manual liftgate, when I press the button under the liftgate, the latch opens and the interior lights go on. So there must be power at that switch even if I dont have a power liftgate. Am I missing something or does that make sense? Trying to avoid having to run a new wire from the hatch to a power source further forward.

Or is it the current draw on the existing wires? The spec for the light I'm using is
Watts/Amps: 4/.40

Seems to me that .4 amps isnt a lot of current draw, even if the light is on for a few hours. I'm not an EE, so am I missing something about the current draw on the existing wires? Dont want to fry anything.

On my manual liftgate, when I press the button under the liftgate, the latch opens and the interior lights go on. So there must be power at that switch even if I dont have a power liftgate. Am I missing something or does that make sense? Trying to avoid having to run a new wire from the hatch to a power source further forward.

YES. I've always wondered this. Feels like it should be doable to incorporate an aux hatch light (such as Baja Designs' or Rigid's) to switch on with the door light trigger. Maybe the door on/off switching line and power tap line are separate, if that makes sense?

Hopefully someone more experienced electrically follows up on if it's possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom