Dissent Bumper Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Dissent bumper is being delivered this week. I wasn’t aware it came unpainted or powder coated. Anyone recommend how I should paint the raw steel bumper? I want to paint in a way where it won’t break the bank.

Rustoleum truck SUV paint is cheap and ok. Bedliner is much more durable.

Harbor freight has cheap bedliner. Quality is so so but I have used it on sliders.

It used to be around 4 bucks a can you'd need say 2 to 3 for a bumper. Paint and let dry for a few days before installing.

The Dissent bumper is being delivered this week. I wasn’t aware it came unpainted or powder coated. Anyone recommend how I should paint the raw steel bumper? I want to paint in a way where it won’t break the bank.

Don't let it sit too long, even in the drier socal climate bare metal can rust pretty quickly. I'd wipe it down with acetone to make sure any residual grease/dirt/grime is removed. Prime it and paint it, rattle can bedliner works just fine.

I would do a good rust resistant paint. that is what i use on all of my bumpers/sliders and whenever it gets scratched up or damaged it is easy to touch it up.

But a can is now 8 bucks so yeah you might get away with just 2 on a bumper but I'd get 3 and do multiple thin coats to get good coverage.

El Cajon Powder Coat if you decide to go that way. Touchup with rattle can if necessary. Sliders rattle can since they tend to get thrashed more?

-Acetone wipe
-Scuff whole thing with Red Scotch Brite Pad 07777
-Wipe down with IPA (not the beer) or Wax and Grease Remover if you have it
-Prime with rattle can like SEM Self Etching Primer
-Get a rattle can of factory single stage paint if you want to match vehicle or quality can of whatever you want.

It's a lot of work but it will stick and you will be in about $100. All supplies can be found at autobody supply store.

Or get a $5 can of Krylon and go nuts- it's an off roader not a show car. I'm looking forward to seeing Dissent bumper in person, awesome choice.

I did similar thing of cleaning and self etching primer. I went with Rustolum bed liner spray for the same reason @elripster said when it comes to touch up.

El Cajon Powder Coat if you decide to go that way. Touchup with rattle can if necessary. Sliders rattle can since they tend to get thrashed more?

I highly recommend powder coating, but I do understand budgets too. Scott at ECP does everything for me; he’s the best. I do everything in BK08 powder 20 % gloss black.

I used North County Powder Coating in Vista for my Dissent. It's too nice of a bumper to rattle can it in my opinion. I think I paid $270ish

I used North County Powder Coating in Vista for my Dissent. It's too nice of a bumper to rattle can it in my opinion. I think I paid $270ish
Had these left over. Did I miss something?

E3DA1FAA-87F4-4D83-88A7-A7C6249852D6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom