Disable the EGR system the (mostly) Toyota way (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Factory look for emission - since you'll have a connector hanging out in mid air, won't this raise suspicions with the emission guy?

You can zip tie it up in the wiring harness or out of the way somewhere, makes it very hard to see.

I have one.

But it's going on the :princess: truck. :lol:
(Tonight! Since today's the first day it hasn't been rainy or cold in a while.)

Hoping your camera is up to snuff tonight!! wire/paperclip pics!!

Maybe more ghetto style... but you won't have an unplugged connector:

Take a crimp on wire splice, and just short the 2 wires.

or

Just strip a little off each wire and run a short jumper. Apply electrical tape...done.

probably could, but I want to know about blocking the vacuum lines!!

I have to admit that I really want to ask why people do this mod, just to have the same things posted up again...:hmm:

Good job on figuring out how to do this!

My Try

Ok, this is what I tried!! One step better then a paper clip!! what I would like to know is if I did it right? Thanks!!
clip.jpg
Plug.jpg

That'll work!

Okay, so I know I promised pics......

Yesterday my CEL came on. I had noticed that since the last time I reset my ECU, the emissions status stayed yellow and never went green, and the emissions chunk wasn't clearing. Checked the code, got P0402.

Since before I had my exhaust done I had reset the ECU several times with this mod in place, and the status always went green (and never threw any codes), I suspect that something in my wiring got goofed up somewhere along the way. If the pins aren't making good contact then the ECU will see slight resistance in the wiring, and will throw a code because the resistance is out of spec. (As opposed to seeing no resistance at all.)

I'm gonna pull it apart and make sure that my wiring is solid. Considering I ran this for over a month with the mod working perfectly (no CEL's and status green), and now I'm getting a CEL after redoing it, I'm guessing that I goofed somewhere along the way.

Well.. Good luck and keep us posted!! still wanting to know if the egr is disabled, or if Vac. lines need to be blocked!!

Well.. Good luck and keep us posted!! still wanting to know if the egr is disabled, or if Vac. lines need to be blocked!!

If you haven't blocked the vac lines you can test it out yourself.

Just go on a drive where the EGR would be running (cruising on the freeway is when it's going to be operating). After a fairly short drive (5-10 minutes), check the EGR tube behind the engine. If it's extremely hot, the EGR valve is open. If it's the same temp as the rest of the engine, it's not.

And by extremely hot I mean extremely hot. As in leave skin on the tube if you touch it hot. Be very very careful.

If you haven't blocked the vac lines you can test it out yourself.

Just go on a drive where the EGR would be running (cruising on the freeway is when it's going to be operating). After a fairly short drive (5-10 minutes), check the EGR tube behind the engine. If it's extremely hot, the EGR valve is open. If it's the same temp as the rest of the engine, it's not.

And by extremely hot I mean extremely hot. As in leave skin on the tube if you touch it hot. Be very very careful.

Ok. Thanks!! So I went out today, put on about 40 Miles!! everything was good then.... bing!!!! CEL comes on again.... This time it's the O2 sensor.... My truck was throwing 3 codes... P0402...(didn't come up this time!!) but the O2 did...

Here comes the hijack...... is there an O2 sensor mod that can be done?? or do I buy new ones?

I would not eliminate the O2 sensors.

They are not particularly cheap either to replace.

Have you checked them to make sure that they are good on the exhaust? No leaks, etc.

I'll check tomorrow.... thanks for the advise!! if my cats seem to be leaking would that cause a code?

I forget.... I will check again when it happens tomorrow or the next day... I'll also start my own thread.. I'm getting rather off topic on this one... sorry...

At the end of the day this mod worked.. I'll double check on the Function of the EGR within the week and post back what I find!

Thanks for the help.... look for my Thread coming soon.!!

Thanks for the tips, Ebag333 and kup99! I just did this mod with a jumper across the temp sensor terminals and I used some BB pellets to block the vac lines. Took it out for an 80 mile drive with multiple start/stop cycles, and no CEL. I checked the EGR tube and it was hot, but not too hot to touch.

I have some questions for Ebag333 or anyone else who's done this:

1. Has anyone figured out the proper bolt size that fits in place of the temp sensor?

2. I'm having trouble removing the ECU side of the temp sensor connector from the metal stub it attaches to on the engine. Any tips?

I drove 220mi and just got a p0402! I reset, swapped out my O2 sensors, and am hoping it stays away now!! where did you stuff the BB's!! I want to do that too!! I left my ecu side just hanging there!! no need to remove it for me!

Thanks,

Article #61 is about the EGR system and is a good read about how it works, what it does and why it is in place.

:cheers:

From reading all that stuff, it doesn't sound like a good idea to be fooling the ECU into thinking that the EGR is still working when it isn't. It relies on the EGR to cool the combustion temperature, so it can run a lean mixture and advance the timing during cruising conditions for better fuel economy. Besides raising combustion temperarures, the tech articles mention that the lean mix and advanced timing can lead to detonation (or pinging). Detonation is known to be bad, but presumably the knock sensor can detect it and retard the timing. If the combustion temp is high enough, this can be bad too with increased exhaust valve and piston temperatures.

Does anyone have any long term experience with doing this?

Well 110 miles later, I got the blasted P0402 again!! going to stuff some BB's tonight, or switch some hoses around!!

Last edited:
I keep getting the 402 code. seems to stay off for about 100 miles or so, but then it keeps coming back on me!! I haven't stopped the flow with the BB's yet, but would that really matter since the sensor is not connected? I'll also double check my wire/clip piece!
Plug.jpg

I've tried the same thing, only I've capped the lines. After a couple cycles I get the PO402 code. I'm using the electrical connect in the picture above to short the leads.

I do enjoy the reduced pinging, however. (still does it, just not as bad)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom