Diff Lock Lights blinking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Disclaimer - I'm new here and I know very little about mechanic work...but I do have full respect for these trucks and what they can do - so much respect I really want to learn how to work on it myself.

Forgive me if this question has been answered somewhere - I looked and couldn't find it.

I have a 1994 80 with factory lockers - When I lock it in I don't think they are engaging, the lights just blink and if I remember correctly they didn't used to blink. I'm going to take it to the shop but I would like to have some ideas of what's going on so I can sound somewhat knowledgeable.

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm working on it.

Thanks Guys

If the light is blinking, then it's telling you that they are trying to lock, but have not fully done so yet. There is a sensor that detects when the actuator has traveled the required distance. As long as the switch is on, and the sensor has not been tripped, then the light will blink. As soon as the sensor is tripped, the light will become solid.

Your locker may be working though, and the sensor could be malfunctioning. I have had this happen to me. You can test it, attempt to lock ur rear locker while in a parking lot, then drive slow and turn a little, you will feel the tires bind if your locker is working. If you can still roll smoothly through a turn on pavement, then the locker is not working and you may need to have it lubricated or rebuilt.

IS normal for them to blink a while, until they actually lock, and vise-versa. When you turn them off it might take a while for them to turn off.

It's not an instant thing, with mine I turn them on and drive a few feet and they should lock, sometimes it takes longer, dont know why, maybe I need to lube or clean them up?

If it is both of them...you do have to lock the center diff or be in low range. In AWD mode...they won't engage.

BW33 said:
Thanks, I will hit a parking lot in the morning and test it out

Don't test it on pavement. If its locking you'll know it even on dirt. Why risk damage?

First off make sure when you put in Low range that your CDL and ABS light turn on first. If not your lockers will never engage.

Update - When I put the truck in low the CDL & ABS lights do come on. The CDL light does not blink - the front and rear diff lights do blink. I tried locking it and turning slowly but I am not familiar enough with the truck to know if it is locking or not based on how it feels. When I put it in low it feels like something grabs but that is before I turn the locker switch. I did drive it a little (very slowly on dirt) to see if it would engage and stop blinking but...still blinking.

I guess I'm headed to the shop with her after new years.

Thanks guys

You can also try locking and unlocking them. Doing it multiple times can free up the locker if it hasn't been used in a long time.

Try doin figure eights in 4 low unlocked then engage your lockers. You will know for sure if they lock. Can also try cleaning the contacts. Also be sure the harness is not cut anywhere too.

Last edited:
Update - When I put the truck in low the CDL & ABS lights do come on. The CDL light does not blink - the front and rear diff lights do blink. I tried locking it and turning slowly but I am not familiar enough with the truck to know if it is locking or not based on how it feels. When I put it in low it feels like something grabs but that is before I turn the locker switch. I did drive it a little (very slowly on dirt) to see if it would engage and stop blinking but...still blinking.

I guess I'm headed to the shop with her after new years.

Thanks guys

Believe you'll know if they lock. It will be really difficult to turn the steering well. Do you hear a click under the glove cmpartment when u engage them?

I believe that the sensors could be bad. I have the same problem on the rear locker only. Center locks up front works great I can hear the relay for the rear locker and I think it is locking but the rear locker light just keeps blinking... I tried banging on the actuator checked the wires but I think it just needs a new sensor... Might be your problem too.

If it is both of them...you do have to lock the center diff or be in low range. In AWD mode...they won't engage.

i have a 94 vx AWD....and found i have rear elockers and front manual lockers...would the rear work....i am kinda confused by your comment...please help

thanks

52136d1166059834-gtv6-motor-swap-w-non-alfa-motor-breaking_news_-_thread_resurrected-21_dead_thread_br.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom