Diff drop gx460 with kdss and AHC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm simply showing another point of view for those that are considering modifications the consequences that many don't consider. There is nothing different about the GX460 than any other rig when it comes to modifications. You are taking my input out of context.

I don't have to own one to know the carnage caused by these kind of modifications. Time and time again I see lifted Tundras, 4Runners, Tacomas, Jeeps and all kinds of rigs stranded and blocking trails. Admittedly I have not seen a broken GX460 on the trail. Probably because it's a very low volume produced vehicle.
But it's different when someone's thread is like "35s needed for fire roads!?!?" vs build/install threads where people are modding how they like and maybe end up with a question halfway through their install.

...to know the carnage caused by these kind of modifications. Time and time again I see lifted Tundras, 4Runners, Tacomas, Jeeps and all kinds of rigs stranded and blocking trails...
:lol: Maybe that's because they haven't yet installed the correct modifications... :lol:

Look, it's great to have opinions, but let's not pretend they're absolutes, because, well, they're just not. In anything...

Just chiming in to add more fuel to the diff drop or not debate with the GX =P because what fun is an enthusiast forum if we can’t go round and round on topics like this?

I have a drop installed on my 470, but only because the shop that did my cv axles wouldn’t warranty their work on a lifted truck without it. NBD, I don’t mind installing the drop if it means I get a 3 year warranty on cv axles.

The reality is, at least for the 470, the diff drop nets you like 1/3 of an inch drop for your cv axles. I’m no engineer, but that just doesn’t seem like enough to meaningfully impact the wear and tear on CVs.

While the spacers are about an inch, they’re only installed on 1 side of the diff. So you don’t get the full inch.

IMO, it really boils down to preference and peace of mind. Is ~$70 and 20 minutes of time going to make you feel better about your cv axles? Yes? Then do the install. Otherwise, don’t worry about it.

I bought the different drop kit. No instructions or video for diff kit... Stage 2 lift kit was a no brainer, they did an excellent video and provided instructions. I called IM and asked what size tires can I install after I pulled the trigger and they said they would only answer that question on Subarus. I was dumbfounded.

I'm living with the end result, but would research other options if I could do it over again. I only bought the products because of what I have found in our forum.

Justin
Bartlett TN

I'm simply showing another point of view for those that are considering modifications the consequences that many don't consider. There is nothing different about the GX460 than any other rig when it comes to modifications. You are taking my input out of context.

I don't have to own one to know the carnage caused by these kind of modifications. Time and time again I see lifted Tundras, 4Runners, Tacomas, Jeeps and all kinds of rigs stranded and blocking trails. Admittedly I have not seen a broken GX460 on the trail. Probably because it's a very low volume produced vehicle.

sure thing

excuse me while i go to the swimming pool forums and tell people about the dangers of drowning

I bought the different drop kit. No instructions or video for diff kit... Stage 2 lift kit was a no brainer, they did an excellent video and provided instructions. I called IM and asked what size tires can I install after I pulled the trigger and they said they would only answer that question on Subarus. I was dumbfounded.

I'm living with the end result, but would research other options if I could do it over again. I only bought the products because of what I have found in our forum.

Justin
Bartlett TN
You understand the legal ramifications of why they won't do that, yes? You can make your own decision based on overwhelming discussions here.

Just chiming in to add more fuel to the diff drop or not debate with the GX =P because what fun is an enthusiast forum if we can’t go round and round on topics like this?

I have a drop installed on my 470, but only because the shop that did my cv axles wouldn’t warranty their work on a lifted truck without it. NBD, I don’t mind installing the drop if it means I get a 3 year warranty on cv axles.

The reality is, at least for the 470, the diff drop nets you like 1/3 of an inch drop for your cv axles. I’m no engineer, but that just doesn’t seem like enough to meaningfully impact the wear and tear on CVs.

While the spacers are about an inch, they’re only installed on 1 side of the diff. So you don’t get the full inch.

IMO, it really boils down to preference and peace of mind. Is ~$70 and 20 minutes of time going to make you feel better about your cv axles? Yes? Then do the install. Otherwise, don’t worry about it.
460's just don't seem to see the CV issues that lifted 100 series and 470's do. I don't know the engineering reason why, though, but the platform is old enough to see lifts being put on rigs that have CV's with 150k miles at stock angles, and virtually no one reports problems, unlike with 100 series.

You understand the legal ramifications of why they won't do that, yes? You can make your own decision based on overwhelming discussions here.
I absolutly do not. I make recomendations all the time for aircraft, then fill out the 337's for the FAA.

Last edited:
I absolutly do not. I make recomendations all the time for aircraft, then fill out the 337's for the FAA.
Your suggesting that they give you information that completely contradicts the information that's riveted to your door sill by the manufacturer, and completely contradicts what's in your owner's manual. Plus there a bunch of other variables in that equation.

And hope that planes don't fall out of the sky when the airframes are altered. o_O

You can make your own decision based on overwhelming discussions here.

And that is why differing viewpoints are important. There are pros and cons to any kind of modification unless it improves the intended purpose of what it was designed for.

If they want sales they better. We are deliberately modifying vehicles beyond the MFG's original design and going with an off road solution that aftermarket suppliers design; and take into consideration their data and limitations to guide our decision making for final action. What kind of person would let a fellow man fall into the same situation due to incomplete information?

We have the right to repair and modify without it this forum would not exist.

BTW my post count is low for a reason.

Will any of this affect the AFS headlights? When I had my lift installed (without diff drop) something happened to my AFS and it's been flashing ever since.
Gotten used to it so I never even notice it now.

Will any of this affect the AFS headlights? When I had my lift installed (without diff drop) something happened to my AFS and it's been flashing ever since.
I think that happens if you removed the compressor for the airbags, I just left everything, except removed the airlines, no afs lights for me

Reactions: r2m

Don’t have the auto leveling headlights or air bags in my rig, it’s a base, with some extras I think.

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom