Diff drop gx460 with kdss and AHC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just installed my front struts from ironman FCP...my 2.5" lift ended up giving me 4" on driver side and 3.5" on passenger....go to install diff drop but see these bolts and bracket attached to the driver side diff mount. What is it? And if anyone did a diff drop what did they do about?

20210619_193705.jpg

Have you driven it yet? I’d take it down some really bumpy roads and do some hard braking to get it to settle.

Strangely, virtually no one is running a diff drop on the GX. Not sure if something changed dimensionally or design-wise in the CV or knuckle compare to the 100 series, but one would think with slightly narrower chassis, the angles would be worse on the GX compared to the 100...

So to not answer your question, i have no idea what that is, but you may want to just sit tight on installing the diff drop...

Strangely, virtually no one is running a diff drop on the GX. Not sure if something changed dimensionally or design-wise in the CV or knuckle compare to the 100 series, but one would think with slightly narrower chassis, the angles would be worse on the GX compared to the 100...

So to not answer your question, i have no idea what that is, but you may want to just sit tight on installing the diff drop...
I’ve never had one installed on any of the Toyota’s I’ve owned.

I’ve never had one installed on any of the Toyota’s I’ve owned.
They really helped stave off CV boot leaking on the 100 series. It was pretty common to see boot leakage on those rigs that lifted without them.

Thank you everyone for responding, it appears the top portion is just rubber, and it butts up against the crossmember, so I think the diff drop should be OK, but tbh I still don't know why it's there, but I will hold off on the diff drop for now, just found out my passenger side's camber/caster bolt is seized.... but it's not too far out, 1 degree.

Reviving old thread. I just went to install the diff drop and came across the same bracket. Has anyone gotten confirmation about it? IMO it feels like it won’t let the diff drop at all because of the center stus?
I definitely think I need the drop the CVS are at a weird angle after the full 3” lift springs.

Please help if you know. Thanks!

Reviving old thread. I just went to install the diff drop and came across the same bracket. Has anyone gotten confirmation about it? IMO it feels like it won’t let the diff drop at all because of the center stus?
I definitely think I need the drop the CVS are at a weird angle after the full 3” lift springs.

Please help if you know. Thanks!
Might have answered my own question with this picture I found on the Exit offroad website:
Looks to me they take that bracket off?
F22D7726-B491-4F31-AB38-960A16D4DB94.jpeg

i would honestly just leave the diff drop off. i've never installed one on any of the lifted toyotas i've had and have never had an issue. one less thing to do / change / worry about IMO

edit* i know this is not very helpful, and i usually hate "this" type of response. but just my thoughts on the matter. looks like your pic above does answer your question though, which is good

Where did your sway bar go??
Lol I removed it to install the front coil overs.. stupidly I pulled it from the lca which means pulling it off completely to align it back in. Pro tip, just remove the sway bar from the clam shells… not the LCA
5C345876-6484-4EC7-ADD6-2F9E58813E9C.jpeg

Does that interfere with ground clearance at all, or does that still fit under the skidplate?
It comes with oem skid place spacers. So yeah it does lower them.
I’m designing and building a beefy skid to replace the arb one I had before, which I bashed up. My skid will have a bump down for the diff, so I don’t lose too much clearance.

And yet another reason not to lift these rigs so much. Longer CV's and diff drops are a bandaid approach to pushing these GX's geometry past their intended design. What a nightmare of modifications just to get a certain look and losing out on all functionality other than a few inches of ground clearance.

No offense but I do not recommend these modifications at all. Of course I'm not as clever as the marketing folks that sell these overpriced spacers.

^^^^ That's a little extreme, doncha think? Diff drops really aren't needed, and "a few inches of extra ground clearance" is hardly a trivial bit of functionality. Indeed, it obviates the need for many other mods, and extends the places the rig can go. As with all things in life, there are, of necessity, tradeoffs. Pick the ones you're willing to make. They are not the same for everybody.

And yet another reason not to lift these rigs so much. Longer CV's and diff drops are a bandaid approach to pushing these GX's geometry past their intended design. What a nightmare of modifications just to get a certain look and losing out on all functionality other than a few inches of ground clearance.

No offense but I do not recommend these modifications at all. Of course I'm not as clever as the marketing folks that sell these overpriced spacers.

dude you are on every thread just crapping on people's modifications - we get it, you like stock vehicles.

dude you are on every thread just crapping on people's modifications - we get it, you like stock vehicles.

And doesn't own a GX.........:rolleyes:

And bashes off road mods on MUD.

I'm simply showing another point of view for those that are considering modifications the consequences that many don't consider. There is nothing different about the GX460 than any other rig when it comes to modifications. You are taking my input out of context.

I don't have to own one to know the carnage caused by these kind of modifications. Time and time again I see lifted Tundras, 4Runners, Tacomas, Jeeps and all kinds of rigs stranded and blocking trails. Admittedly I have not seen a broken GX460 on the trail. Probably because it's a very low volume produced vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom