Diff bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I wanted to buy individual carrier bearings for the rear differential with electronic lock. I purchased two Timken 32012 X. The cup is a little bit thinner than the Koyo that I took off. Has anybody used this part number from Timken do I have to use thicker shims to make up for the thinner cup? Or does anybody have the correct part number for a Timken. Not looking for a Toyota part number I already have that.

Not sure about the bearing number, but the carriers in your 80 both use adjuster nuts, not shims....so the different width wouldn't matter, if all the other dimensions match up.

Not sure about the bearing number, but the carriers in your 80 both use adjuster nuts, not shims....so the different width wouldn't matter, if all the other dimensions match up.

You're mistaken on the nuts LOL non-locking use nuts. With lockers they are shims.

You always have to determine the proper shim size no matter who made the bearing.
Timken bearing 32012x cup thickness is .687, koyo factory is .825. Quite a bit of difference to be adding shims. Unless someone has more info going to return these and order factory or koyo if someone can come up with koyo part number.

I don’t know what you mean by ”cup thickness”. It is the overall width of the bearing that matters for shim size. The shims also have to account for the proper backlash which changes as the gears wear.

The two bearings could have a different taper. I have seen pinion bearings like that. Had a nitro install kit, and a Sierra gear install kit side by side. One had shallow taper bearings the others where steeper. Either one fit the application correctly.

that might be what happened there idk

Okay let me press it off in the morning and take a look at it. I'll compare the overall thickness on both of them.

Quite a bit shorter the overall thickness of the Cup and Cone.

20201112_135956.jpg

20201112_135840.jpg

The two bearings could have a different taper. I have seen pinion bearings like that. Had a nitro install kit, and a Sierra gear install kit side by side. One had shallow taper bearings the others where steeper. Either one fit the application correctly.

that might be what happened there idk
I had my rear carrier assembled with an incorrect pitch pinion bearing, as you are describing. It went together fine, and self-destructed about a year later.

You are never going to be able to shim it to make up the difference. Are you sure that the bearing number is the same and doesn't have a different suffix?

wrong bearing.....

When somebody post help and you guys are cluttering it with your BS. Very frustrating. Please don't reply if you don't have a part number or something experience with it.

I had my rear carrier assembled with an incorrect pitch pinion bearing, as you are describing. It went together fine, and self-destructed about a year later.
Hmm 🤔 guess I’ll find out if I choose correctly lol
I put in the one that was the same as what came out....I think 😆

Those are the two numbers I found also and I just got off speaking to the Timken Automotive guy. Although the Toyota number cross references over to the Timken 32012x it is wrong. Timken does not make one for this with lockers.

Those are the two numbers I found also and I just got off speaking to the Timken Automotive guy. Although the Toyota number cross references over to the Timken 32012x it is wrong. Timken does not make one for this with lockers.
FWIW, both Koyo and Timken are OEMs for Toyota. Originally it was only Koyo, but in the last 10 years or so they added Timken as well.
It would stand to reason that not all bearings would cross reference to Timken numbers.

According to the automotive guy at Timken, they don't make carrier bearings with lockers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom