Diesel injectors : which cleaning fluid to use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

knuckle47

I can’t get enough Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
So I will remove, clean and possibly rebuild the fuel injectors on my 14B. It is running well and just replaced the fuel Filter unit and fuel lines. Which cleaning fluid would be best to use for the internal injector parts once disassembled?

Personally, I would leave the injectors alone since the engine is running nicely. Perhaps an additive to your fuel may be more in order ?
Funny but my new friend @mudgudgeon said the same thing… on the other hand, I have spent 7 weeks acquiring the necessary gaskets and seals to do the job along with the springs, nozzles etc. I do have injector #2 that has a light weeping around the cylinder head… I’m thinking that if I need to remove the leakage rail and some other pieces, it’s just a series of 6 other nuts to remove all the injectors and put them under a test.

if I go that far, I should pull them apart and clean them accordingly to the voice in my head. I have had successes and failures in that kind of thinking though.

As for the additive, I used Diesel Kleen but I have not driven it a lot. Enough to pass the treated fuel through the system and it does appear to have made a difference. The soot and smoke is gone and the idle is back to normal.
IMG_9718.jpeg

I tried most injector cleaners off the shelf to try and clean the carbon off the nozzles. Most do very little. The most effective carbon remover was firearm carbon remover. I also tried diesel,brake fluid, acetone, ultrasonic cleaners etc..
However, the cost of fresh new denso nozzles installed into freshly calibrated injectors does not cost much more than the time, effort of scrubbing with any goop.

No amount of cleaning beats new nozzles. Change nozzles every 100k and don't idle too much or often. For the exactness of the manufacture, they are good value, even if you do not know when the pvo did them last. Best fuel economy I have had is 8.9l/100km or 26mpg!

@sodafeld1. Great answer, thanks! I have new nozzles so maybe that is the best thing to shoot for. I’ll post my results

Try hotshots diesel extreme.

Is Hot Shots Diesel Extreme a cleaner or an additive?

Is Hot Shots Diesel Extreme a cleaner or an additive?
they claim it's the strongest cleaner on the market and only recommend using it once or twice a year. or every 6000 miles

they also have an Everyday Treatment in regular and winter formulas

after using Amsoil for years HotShots is top-notch!

Last edited:
Funny thing : the company I work for uses those Isuzu 6 cyl NPR diesel engines and others. I have been there 32 years and never got involved in the garage end besides tripping over air hoses and walking thur the shop. The guys do all kinds of major engine jobs. I am ordering the Hotshots for these diesels and will borrow a quart for my own truck when it comes this week. Thanks @veiloctane for the recommendation

Funny thing : the company I work for uses those Isuzu 6 cyl NPR diesel engines and others. I have been there 32 years and never got involved in the garage end besides tripping over air hoses and walking thur the shop. The guys do all kinds of major engine jobs. I am ordering the Hotshots for these diesels and will borrow a quart for my own truck when it comes this week. Thanks @veiloctane for the recommendation

That’s a great way to test it. Test it on a fleet and get feedback from the techs and the drives see if they notice any difference.

Exactly the plan… I’ll tell no one and see

Exactly the plan… I’ll tell no one and see
I’m defiantly looking forward to your update.

Me and my friends did out injectors a few years back. We all had the same 1HD-T. Mine had a little bit less carbon buildup. But it could be related to driving style fuel additives and or fuel quality and or turning It’s hard to tell for me. But the reviews online are outstanding.

I’m defiantly looking forward to your update.

Me and my friends did out injectors a few years back. We all had the same 1HD-T. Mine had a little bit less carbon buildup. But it could be related to driving style fuel additives and or fuel quality and or turning It’s hard to tell for me. But the reviews online are outstanding.
I watched the YouTube videos, watched the reviews other people did and read the written reviews. The stuff seems like a Miracle product but without checking it out, you’ll never know. Everyone seems to love it and nothing I have read shows anything negatively impacting the engine or its performance. It will be here Thursday. The guys in the shop will pull injectors before and after if I confide in them. But I would like to have some objective numbers as well as drivers input. A tall order but I think it can happen. I commute 66 miles one-way to work or I would have had the guys in the shop do some stuff on my 14B. In 2 months I have yet to drive it 66 miles!

are you just doing the diesel extreme? Are you gonna follow up with EDT?

I’m curious if your gonna notice any increased fuel mileage too

I got myself EDT winter I’ll be running all year round. And diesel xtreme. I’ll be running one dose before winter.

I’m actually converting all my amsoil to hotshots
15w30 blackdiamond outlaw oil because of high zinc and being a PAO oil same with the transmission fluid as they claim to have the same viscosity as Dexron III

Plus the “Nano Lubricants” what ever that means. I’m curious to see my next oil analyst.

So far with diesel xtreme I have noticed less smoke especially after I have ran waste motor oil and switching back to good clean diesel. I’m sure the extra cetane helps my fuel mileage. The increase is hardly noticeable. Some claim 5-7percent increase mpg that’s huge in my opinion. But with my setup it’s gonna be a toss up because I have turbo upgrades, fuel pump mods, intercooler and possibly water/meth in the near future.

Last edited:
i Use Amsoil in my Chevy Duramax and our Suburban. My Ford F150 was Amsoil from the first oil change in 2001 had 13 miles on it when I bought it and 346,000 miles when I sold it 17 years later. I would challenge you to close your eyes and start that truck 17yrs later. You’d think it was brand new. I attribute so little wear to the oil. It went thru that same ridiculous 66 mile one-way commute for 17 years. I did order the EDT as well so I can pick three or four of the delivery trucks and see how it goes over a few weeks. Lately I am only there 3 days a week (gettin’ older you know) but I will ask the shop guys to record mileage each day. My big wish it to see the injector performance before and after and to discover how clean it is also with the spray pattern

i Use Amsoil in my Chevy Duramax and our Suburban. My Ford F150 was Amsoil from the first oil change in 2001 had 13 miles on it when I bought it and 346,000 miles when I sold it 17 years later. I would challenge you to close your eyes and start that truck 17yrs later. You’d think it was brand new. I attribute so little wear to the oil. It went thru that same ridiculous 66 mile one-way commute for 17 years. I did order the EDT as well so I can pick three or four of the delivery trucks and see how it goes over a few weeks. Lately I am only there 3 days a week (gettin’ older you know) but I will ask the shop guys to record mileage each day. My big wish it to see the injector performance before and after and to discover how clean it is also with the spray pattern
Don't get me wrong Amsoil is good stuff. I have their bypass filter I think its superior to the toilet paper roll Frantz version.

but when hotshots have big claims "Hotshot's says bring your oil head to head against "Black Diamond Outlaw Oil" it has me wondering.

I was on Amsoil 15W-40 Marine and now I'm trying out Hotshots black diamond 15W-40 with Sticktion eliminator.

I really wish there was a head-to-head test project farm style.

its interesting there not afraid to post there competitors diesel Kleen looks pretty good to

1687846866071.png

found a project farm video comparing some of these

Last edited:
are you just doing the diesel extreme? Are you gonna follow up with EDT?

I’m curious if your gonna notice any increased fuel mileage too

I got myself EDT winter I’ll be running all year round. And diesel xtreme. I’ll be running one dose before winter.

I’m actually converting all my amsoil to hotshots
15w30 blackdiamond outlaw oil because of high zinc and being a PAO oil same with the transmission fluid as they claim to have the same viscosity as Dexron III

Plus the “Nano Lubricants” what ever that means. I’m curious to see my next oil analyst.

So far with diesel xtreme I have noticed less smoke especially after I have ran waste motor oil and switching back to good clean diesel. I’m sure the extra cetane helps my fuel mileage. The increase is hardly noticeable. Some claim 5-7percent increase mpg that’s huge in my opinion. But with my setup it’s gonna be a toss up because I have turbo upgrades, fuel pump mods, intercooler and possibly water/meth in the near future.
The Hot Shot Black Diamond outlaw oil isn’t cheap. Have you had good results with it? Did you send a sample off to Blackstone for analysis? Thinking about trying the Hot Shots injector cleaner. Thank you for your input.

Well it has been over a month of using Diesel Extreme in the 3 trucks I know about in the place I work..to start, they all had about 140,000 miles. After 8 fuel fills starting at about 11 miles per gallon, these trucks are averaging about 12.2. It’s not easy to get an exact assessment since different drivers use these particular diesel trucks.
can I say we are getting a 10% improvement in mileage? Given the cost of the additive, it is likely a break-even

Well it has been over a month of using Diesel Extreme in the 3 trucks I know about in the place I work..to start, they all had about 140,000 miles. After 8 fuel fills starting at about 11 miles per gallon, these trucks are averaging about 12.2. It’s not easy to get an exact assessment since different drivers use these particular diesel trucks.
can I say we are getting a 10% improvement in mileage? Given the cost of the additive, it is likely a break-even
That’s great news I’m interested to see a before and after injectors with using diesel extreme

Now you got to try some EDT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom