1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diagnosing Starting Problem

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by mikiekimi, Aug 19, 2006.

1. mikiekimi

mikiekimi

Got a little problem here and I need some ideas.

When I turn the key in the ignition, it cranks fast, then slow (very slowly), then usually starts. Sometimes it cranks fast, then slow, then fast again.

I had a two battery setup and thinking that had something to do with it, I removed both batteries and replaced with one brand new one.

After I put the battery in, it cranked fast, then slow again and finally started.

I've read in other posts that this could be a symptom of a couple of things...bad starter or timing too far advanced (?).

Question is...how dow I go about diagosing what the problem is? My thoughts are just replacing the starter...

Thanks!

2. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

There aren't that many possibilities:
    It is either a bad starter motor, bad solenoid or a bad electrical connection. Start with the cheap / easy things like the battery cable and ground connections. Do you have the ground strap between the starter and frame?

3. bandy rooster

bandy rooster

yea i don't beleive its anything to do with timing or carb it sounds purely like what pin head said...

4. Varty Yo

Varty Yo SILVER Star

make sure your engine is grounded, mine was doin the same thing. i realized it was tryin to ground through the accelrator cable.

5. mikiekimi

mikiekimi

How did you determine it was trying to ground through the accelerator cable?

I looked at the electrical connections and the ground cable to the battery is connected to the engine block. I've got two different Chiltons/Haines manuals and the Toyota F engine manual but they don't seem to point me in the right direction.

I've never really messed around with any major electrical issues before...

thanks,

6. mikiekimi

mikiekimi

There is a ground strap between the starter and the frame.

7. FF LC FREAK

FF LC FREAK

Media:
    Albums:
    Are they clean? Corrosion free? If not, clean them up and see if that helps.

Good luck!

8. Varty Yo

Varty Yo SILVER Star

well when the throttle cable started melting i realized what was happening.........good luck

9. theo

theo

It most certainly is possible your timing is too far advanced. I've had this symptom plenty of times (before I owned a timing light, mostly). Takes 10 minutes to check the timing. Why wouldn't you do it?

10. dfmorse

dfmorse

Mik;

All old FJ's require the following grounding sequence;

Neg side of battery to frame > frame to engine block> engine block to firewall> firewall to right fender.

Starter ground to frame.

This will overcome many weird problems with corroded FJ's.

Do this first and then see if problem disappears ...

After this work is done, the problem could be the starter motor [solenoid contacts] or possibly the ignition switch.

11. Doug_S

Doug_S

Also check the connection on the starter that runs between the starter motor and the solenoid. I think it's an 8mm bolt. Unbolt it and run some sand paper over it to ensure that you're getting a good ground. I had a similar problem on mine and the above procedure was what saved me from being stranded somewhere.

12. mikiekimi

mikiekimi

So here's the latest...I verified the correct ground using the instructions above. Disconnected every cable and ran sandpaper over all connections - same results.

I just replaced the starter/soleniod yesterday, fully charged the battery and tried starting today with the same results. Turns fast, then slow, then dead. I was able to jump start it yesterday, but it acted funny. While it was being jumped, it wouldn't tun over at all, then it would turn over fine. I really don't have much experience tracking down electrical problems.

When I tried to start it this morning I noticed the negative battery post was hot after I tried starting it.

I'm sure this must mean there's something not grounded right...any more ideas on what I should look at?

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">