Details on the 76? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Morning,

I'm a Canadian currently driving a 1996 FZJ80 and seriously contemplating putting myself on a four-year plan to import a diesel 70 series. I'm having trouble fully understanding what is actually available, however.

I really like the 76 and from googling I believe that it has front coils from 1999 onwards?

Is there a list somewhere of models and the countries they were sold in? I think I'm looking for an HZJ76L.

It will have to be model year 2002 or older (15 years old in 2017-18) and LHD.

Is an automatic transmission available on these?

If fuel efficiency is a primary concern for me and I'm not worried about fast acceleration, will a naturally-aspirated 1HZ serve me well?

What else is there to consider when looking at a 76?

Thanks,

A.

IIRC the first year for the 76 was 2006 or 2007.

As far as fuel economy, what is good in your eyes? The NA 1HZ is a solid motor, and gets better mileage than the 1FZ, but not stellar. The 1HZ is very nice turboed, and properly set up will give you good performance and still be OK in the fuel consumption department.

The HZJ, FZJ, GRJ, and VDJ 76s came I think almost exclusively with the manual box only from what I did a quick search on, at least in the early years. They may have a slush box offering now, but in the beginning there was pretty much only the 5 speed.

If you want that look in a pre-2002 model 4-door 70 series, look for an HZJ77 or go bonsai and get an HZJ105 with the SFA:grinpimp:

between you, me, and the NSA...

Is an automatic transmission available on these?
Yes I think so,the 1HZ did get an auto in the 7* series so I would assume the 76 series got one. I think I have seen them in the japanese auctions with auto.

If fuel efficiency is a primary concern for me and I'm not worried about fast acceleration, will a naturally-aspirated 1HZ serve me well?

It depends ,I find a 1HZ quite adequate,some people don't. I don't think they need a higher top speed as they are not safe at high speed.
In heavy traffic I get away as quick as the Ferrari next to me.
Getting away quick involves a 2nd gear take off and changing at around 3000 rpm.The size of the tyres greatly affects acceleration. I find that 32 inch tyres are the best all round.
I get 12.5 to 13.5 litres/ 100 klms religiously. Doesn't really matter whether its in gridlock traffic or open highway ,never really varies much.

A HZJ76L is LH drive which kind of limits the selection. Most of the 76 series seem to be RH drive from Japan. I dont recall seeing these in the LH drive markets like France and Germany.

We have plenty HZJ76 around here .. average price upon specs it's about 56K and I don't ever think NA 1HZ it's enough .. at least mild turbo setup it's necessary in my books ..

If you live, drive in flat lands it won't be an issue .. performance wise having an NA 1HZ

That doesn't really tell me which countries have the HZJ76, though.

In any case, since it was only introduced in 2007, it's not going to happen for me. I guess it's an HDJ81 or HDJ78, which will have to be another thread.

Thanks all,

A.

Urmmm the hzj76 was built from the end of 1999.? Or are you after the wide front

...via IH8MUD app

77s were made 90 - 99 and 76 was first made in late 99 in japan.
Japan only got the 1pz and 1hz.
Aus first had the V8 4.5L when they were released in 06 or 07 FWIK.
Now Oz, NZ and SA are the only places with the V8 in the 70 series....
The ME still gets the ol 1hz.

So which countries would have 1999-2003 MY HZJ76?

Very few ,mainly Japan and they are RHD. The 7* is a very low volume model by world standards and the HZJ76 are some of the rarest models.
Australia and the middle east are the 2 biggest markets. Australia has only had utes and troopies for 23 years and the middle east have nearly all been petrol models.
That leaves Africa ,which is much the same as Australia in body types.Europe which have strict emissions rules which disallowed the 1HZ from the late 90s.
Doesn't leave much else. I haven't heard of the 76 series being sold on the South American continent
Most countries that wanted a diesel landcruiser got the 80,100 or 105 series.
Those that wanted a LWB 7* series wagon got the 4 cyl 77/78/79 series.

What you seek is a very rare beast.

What you seek is a very rare beast.

Yes Im still trying to remember if I have ever seen one at all. Maybe rural mobsters in Siberia drive them.

Ironically you could probably find one in Somalia with an m60 poking through the roof.....or, one of the Arab countries where they get off on driving brand new 70 series trucks down the highway balanced precariously on two wheels while hanging out the windows pumping their fists in the air......:bang:

Yes Im still trying to remember if I have ever seen one at all. Maybe rural mobsters in Siberia drive them.

They do drive them in rural Siberia :D

I snapped a picture of this 76 in Magadan (eastern Siberia), it's actually a GRJ76 sporting the 4.0L gas motor used in the US Tacoma/FJC/4R, etc.but they also has HZJ76's in LHD. For sale too, $60k US. Of course getting it legally into the US is a different story :D

Siberia was full of rad Cruisers, tons of JDM stuff too.

DSCN2212 (Small).JPG

I'm in Canada, so 15 years is the requirement. I'm trying to plan ahead for a purchase in 2016 or so. Need three seats, LHD, diesel.

Other recommendations are welcome!

A.

They do drive them in rural Siberia :D

Yeah I was actually about 50% serious because I know they have some good cruisers in the remote parts of the old USSR.
And if they were there,its most likely only the crooks can afford them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom